• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor Bunny Living Ideas - Dog Kennel & Run

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

We are going to be planning out our outdoor living space for the bunnies this week and have got so many ideas we don't know what would be best.

At first we were thinking of building an aviary type structure with their Lavendar Lodge inside, we would have roofed it with the corrugated plastic stuff.

Now we're thinking of a dog kennel & run, similar to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120124423175&rd=1&rd=1

Our other idea is to get a shed and modify it with a mesh door inside for sunny days, with a mini bunny door built in and attached to their existing run.

We have a 18 foot by 10 foot triangle to use for bunny space and would like to maximise the use of that space.

Ideas and pics would be much appreciated. I've done a search and looked at the housing sticky, but all the links are broken. Also, if anyone knows of any decent suppliers in the Lancashire / Cumbria area it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gemma xx

I have that dog kennel and run, it is very good, well made, good locks and secure mesh. I have since had one of the doors made into a stable door as I couldn't get in or out very easily without the bunnies trying to escape! The wood is quite thick which is good, but it does eat into the space a bit particularly in the enclosed area, mine is only 8 x 4 so it wouldn't be such a problem for you as yours will be bigger anyway. One negative is that I keep banging my head on it as it is only 5' tall, so maybe if you could get one made that is higher it would be easier to clean etc.

I like the idea of an 'aviary' style or a shed that you can go and sit in and be with your rabbits on a rainy day. The kennel does look good though

I have a dog kennel and run and the manafacurer actually made me a bunny door with lift up flap, aswell as stable doors and mesh all down to the bottom of the wood. He even put a large shelf in it for me. Its 10ft x 6ft and I love it so much Im buying another. Its a 6ft x 4ft shed area with a 6ft x 4ft run. The roof goes all over the run too, so I can sit in with the bunnies and play. Apologies to those that have seen the piccies before :oops:

P2260052.jpg

P2260047.jpg

P2260045.jpg

dottyandrad012.jpg

:wave:

Hi,

I am looking for new accomodation for my buns and had decided on a Rydale hutch but seeing Steph's I'm now not sure. Could I have the details of where yours came from Steph please!

Thankyou :D

This is our current setup, the only thing that it needs is a proper roof over the run, but we are thinking about extending the run to cover the whole length of the front of the shed.

2006_0408001.jpg

The shed windows are now covered with mesh, instead of the glass it came with.

I have a dog kennel and run and the manafacurer actually made me a bunny door with lift up flap, aswell as stable doors and mesh all down to the bottom of the wood. He even put a large shelf in it for me. Its 10ft x 6ft and I love it so much Im buying another. Its a 6ft x 4ft shed area with a 6ft x 4ft run. The roof goes all over the run too, so I can sit in with the bunnies and play. Apologies to those that have seen the piccies before :oops:

Oh wow that is just what I'm looking for, can you pm me the details please? Thanks :)

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20001&langId=-1&catalogId=10701&productId=1500010073&Trail=C$cip=50710>C$cip=51333>C$cip=50980&categoryId=50980

This is what I have for my two. I (actuallymy husband) cut a square hole in the top right corner and built a ramp coming down to the bottom near right corner and the wired all around the legs. Hey presto house and run.

The advantage is being off the floor in the winter keeps them warmer and I put a big old carpet over the roof. As compared to a shed you have to put the shed on the floor. The downsides are that my big rabbit struggled towards the end with the ramp although looking back I think this may have been the first signs of the EC affecting him. Also I didnt pave the underneath and he was a sod for not using his tray whereas my girl is a clean bunny

Back