• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost another wild bunny today...one left

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi everybody

Found Radish in his box this morning, Spudsy was already up in her usual spot scoffing hay in the bowl but Radish was laying down. Called him but no reply and when I opened the cage up he wasn't there trying to squeeze out before the door opened. He was dead. Not long gone either this was at 8 this morning.

To say I'm shocked is an understatement they have both been doing brilliantly and are about 6 weeks old. (I lost the other 2 at 3wks).

Whether the journey to Wales did it I don't know. I made the decision to take them with us to my in-laws last Saturday. They were fine when I got them out of the box at the end of the journey and have both had a great weeks holiday exploring not just the utility room (the room arranged for them to use) but the hall way (where Radish liked because he discovered tiny bits of grass on peoples shoes) but also the conservatory. Thankfully they both won my partners parents over with their good looks.

I have so many happy memories of them in the past few weeks, I could tell them apart quite easily and they had great fun together. Radish one day this week escaped through into the kitchen and had a dash round the rest of the bungalow. His sister followed him the next day...

I honestly feel like my heart has been ripped out this morning, I planned to keep them both and have been trying so hard to do whats been right for them. The journey back home on Thursday night was fine, they both seemed better this time than the last time.

Don't know if this was the dreaded bloat again but he had been drinking 10ml a feed like his sister no trouble and no sign of any greeny coloured poo like the other 2.

I really do feel for Spudsy though, shes now on her own and seems a little bit more nervous than usual. I have thankfully a nice bond with her, she will come and sit on me and normally licks me to death but I am worried about her future. Obviously still got a way to go, keeping her on just milk and hay for 12 weeks as advised by some inc rabbit welfare association to be on the safe side.

But wondering if she does pull through what to do as I was planning on both of them being outside but as shes on her own now shes probably better off inside though I have 2 cats and a tiny house!

Sorry this is such a long post needed to get my thoughts down, only just got up as spent most of morning in bed hoping that when I woke up it would be just a terrible dream.

Suzanne x

I`m so sorry about radish Suzy:cry: :cry: :cry:

Please don`t blame yourself , you`ve cared for these little ones so well & sometimes nature is just cruel.

if you`re worried about your remaining little one being lonely it is possible to bond a wild bun with a domestic one, so you could get her a friend when she`s a little older.

Hugs,
Su.x

thank you for your kind messages, everyone on this forum has been brilliant ever since we brought these bunnies home.

Spudsy had an hour out of her cage earlier and had a good run round, seemed ok but not very happy being back in her cage. Shes not normally very noisy but think it may be because shes on her own.

Her cage is in the hallway so wondered whether to bring the cage into the lounge where she can see us, or whether she might be even more inclined to get out???

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that :( I think 'Paws', my little guy likes being in the same room as me, he's certainly sticks his nose through the bars everytime someone goes by.

I gave him a teddy as he's on his own but he didn't seem that interested :( It's so sad seeing them on their own after being with their litter mates.

Tam

Hi,

I'm really sorry it must be so painful after they've depended on you so much for them to go.

I think bringing her into the lounge is a good idea and I'd definatly think about binding her with a 'domestic' rabbit, especially if its not practical to keep her inside. Otherwise if you are in all the time and the cats would get used to her you could keep her as a single bun I suppose. Mandy's Audrey and Worm seem to get along fine. See how it goes I suppose but short term I'd have her in the lounge :D xxx

thanks for the advice, just got back home after being out for a few hours, was dreading looking in on the cage just incase but she seems fine. will feed her give her a run round and put her in lounge later when we're in again.

glad u've still got one tamsin i was wondering if he was ok.

suzanne

Have moved Spudsy into the lounge, shes had lots of exercise this evening plus her usual amount of milk drank no problems at all.

Have turned into a paranoid 'mum' checking her tummy and back passage regularly to check for any signs, but there was no sign at all with Radish.

Fingers crossed.

Back