• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leafy Greens to Eat / Grow?

I bought from the garden centre a few weeks back now a pack of "leaffy green" stuff to grow. Well it's been potted up a while now and it's just ready for picking / harvesting.

I was wondering though as I have so much of it if it could be fed to the rabbits. The selection was:

Mizuna http://www.evergreenherbs.com/Freshlettuces/mizuna.htm
Red Mustard http://www.evergreenherbs.com/Freshlettuces/mustard.htm
And Salad Rocked (I know this can be fed in small quantities only)

I've tried searching the forum but mizuna came up with no results and found it difficult to find mustard that didn't relate other other kind of mustard :D

Well if anyones got any ideas I would ge grateful, would be great to grow some of my own stuff for them.

Hum... still need to buy some carrot seeds.

Oh... p.s. can you feed them garden mint - ours is growing rampend :D

Thanks everyone...

H

I'm afraid I don't know about the stuff you have, but I grow parsely, coriander, camomile, thyme, rosemary and dandilions (my mum loves that...not:lol: ). They also get fed the wild vetch in the garden, some clover, rose, strawberry and raspberry leaves and when its grown, they'll get brocolli leaves and a the odd tomato! All organically grown using their own poo! :D :lol: :lol: Of course we humans eat most of what I listed too! :)

As far as I know mizuna should be OK as it is a dark leaved "lettuce" salad leaf.

Garden mint should be fine too so long as it is pollution and chemical free!

Thanks peeps, we have some parsley growing but I'm afraid my mum may get upset if in pinch too much of it for the rabbits and she has nothing left to cook with:lol:

I'll try them on a little bit of mizuna and see how it goes down... otherwise I'm going to have to expand my culinary eating!!

Hannah

rocket should be OK as it's actually a brassica (I know, a little strange) but as it's very spicy I'd go very easy on it otherwise you could end up with Deli belly.

I heard mint a good flie repellent (but I think thats scattered around the cage, not digested). It can be eaten but only in small amounts.

How about marigolds. Easy to grow, pretty and look great scattered in salad. They'll also keep aphids away, expecially in the greenhouse.
I also grow some raddish, which are the quickest and easiest to grow you could imagine. Sooty gets on or 2 a week. He loved crunchy food. One 8 inch pot could give you 8 or so raddish within a month.

I heard mint a good flie repellent (but I think thats scattered around the cage, not digested). It can be eaten but only in small amounts.

Yup if your mints going crazy, as it does tend to do. Put it near the hutch in summer to keep flies away :) X

Thanks for the ideas guys... well my mum's since tried all the leaves and says they are quite nice :lol: not sure that helps with the bunnies but there you go. I wouldn't feed the rabbits handfuls of any of these at a time, just a few at a time...

She also made mint sauce with the mint but used malt vinegar instead of white wine vinegar - and apparently is didn't taste very nice (bit off topic but there you go!!!).

Hannah

I found this on http://mysite.verizon.net/vze27h5b/id24.html

Red mustard is a mustard "green" so it should be OK. I still have no idea what collard greens are though and I see them in every rabbit book.....is it spring cabbage?

These vegetables can be part of any bunny salad: arugula, basil, beet greens, bok choy, Boston lettuce, Chinese broccoli, cilantro, dill, escarole, fennel (anise), flat parsley, kohl rabi tops, lovage, lemon balm, mint (any variety but Pennyroyal which is toxic), mizuna, mustard greens, oregano, parsnips, radishes and tops, romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, rapini, snow peas, sweet green peppers, and thyme.

Some vegetables may produce too much gas or bloating in some rabbits (beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, and radishes). Some vegetables are high in calcium and should be fed no more than three times per week (carrot tops, Chinese parsley, clover, collard greens, dandelion greens, kale, and spinach). Some vegetables are very high in sugar (carrots) and should be given only as a treat, if at all.

I grow some mixed salad leaves all bun friendly, spinach, organic rocket, round carrots :lol: corriander, flat leaf parsley and buy the rest :oops: :lol:

I found this on http://mysite.verizon.net/vze27h5b/id24.html
Red mustard is a mustard "green" so it should be OK. I still have no idea what collard greens are though and I see them in every rabbit book.....is it spring cabbage?

It is a type of cabbage and it's closely related to spring greens and kale (it looks pretty much like spring greens but slightly more flimsy leaves - in fact my local tesco recently sold me some as spring greens!! Cheeky.)

Back