• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Our Rabbit's Stopped Eating - Please Help

rabbitmike

New Kit
Hello. Our rabbit - Angel - has stopped eating. Her normal diet consists of hay, pellets and some vegetables. She has chewed a small amount of hay but has none of her usual verve and no interest in the pellets. Normally she really goes for them in a big way. Overall she is very subdued.

We took her to the vet today and they gave her some fluids and probiotics. She started to eat some dandelion leaves. She had a very stressful time and they advised us to bring her home.

Now she is home she is still not eating any pellets and is acting very quietly. Has anyone been in a situation like this, if so how did you nurse your rabbit back to health? Thanks.

Yes, they said her teeth were fine. Yesterday morning she was eating pellets, by last night she was no longer interested in them. This has continued for all of today.

Hello

Is your rabbit pooing? If not it is ESSENTIAL that you contact your Vet again TONIGHT as your Rabbit probably needs a gut motility stimulant. Your Rabbits GI tract may have 'shut down' which if left untreated can be very serious.
As Minilops has said, Dental problems can cause a Rabbit to stop eating. As your Rabbit is subdued I would say he may be in pain and therefore in need of analgesia. Pain will cause a physiological response meaning the GI function slows down. This means the Rabbit stops pooing and eating.
An anorexic Rabbit needs to be syringe fed a liquid feed, something like Critical Care or Science Recovery.
I really hope that your Vet can provide appropriate treatment for your Rabbit

Janex

Oh dear... not good news. I totally agree with Jane. Your bunny needs treatment tonight.

We have noticed a reduction in the amount that she poohs.

As I said in my previous post I think your Rabbit needs to be seen by a Vet again tonight. Reduced GI motility is often a secondary symptom of another problem. But initially the GI problem needs prompt treatment.

Janex

Hi, Rabbitmike! I know you're new here, but please listen to Jane - she is our resident "unqualified" vet and knows loads about bunny health. Good luck with your bun! Claire x

Hi Mike!

Glad you have joined the forum! If Jane says go to the vet, that is your best bet. My advise is go to the 24 hour medivet in Enfield. They were very good with Albert last week. Hope Angel gets better soon.

Make sure you feed critcal care based on the weight of your bunny, so if your bunny is 2 KG, then feed 50 x 2 = 100 ml of Critical care.

To feed Critical care, you can't suck the critical care via the syringe, you have to use a spoon to dip the critical care mixture (the compoud with water) at the open end of the syringe (not the small end). Then push the mixture in her mouth

Hi i read through this thread today. Unfortunately i don't have much time to access the forum every day. How is your little one? Is he eating now? My bobby stopped eating when he got sick. So please seek a vet's advice. I got there too late. He did not eat for about three days but then he was too weak to recover. Hope it's a different story in your case. Just keep us posted plssss! Good luck.

Back