• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Audrey's housing - ideas

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Cos my little madam keeps escaping from her pen :roll: I've had to leave her locked in her dog crate today which I hate to do, so I'm just thinking of new housing possibilities for her really.

Pre escaping she had a dog crate with an open topped pen attached for night time and when I'm out at work.

I could put a lid on top of the pen which is what i had before but its cumbersome and annoying...or i've been thinking of putting her out in the summer house during the day and night and bringing her in the house in the evenings to spend time with me and she can be free range during that time with a cat bed to sit in. That way I could get rid of her dog crate which takes up a lot of space in the kitchen.

She would be 100% safe in the summer house as its brick with glass windows and if she behaves herself she can have the run of the whole 18ft x 10ft area. But I was a little worried she will be scared cos of fox noises etc cos its a distance from the house :? Or maybe she wouldn't be cos she's always trying to get outside when I open the door for Worm.

What do you think?

Last edited:
mandy - all my 5 are house bunnies but they love being away at bunny camp and staying outdoors. audrey will still be inside, so to speak, so i would imagine that she'll love it and it sounds massive

just think of all the toys you could cram in there :D

i would go for it, if she's doing a houdini all the time - it will be safer for her and less stress for you. and she'll still get time with you when you are home :D

The summer house thing sounds a good idea to me hun :D

Bambi is adapting to being outside and actually is starting to look rather happy outside :D

Thanks both of you, I feel a bit more reassured now! :)

Yeah I could set up some boxes and tubes and stuff for her to play in, good idea:) and she can have her crate in there as a bedding area. I'll give it a go this weekend I think and if she seems unhappy she can come back in and I'll revert to the pen with a lid on, thanks xx

I saw a COOL SET UP FROM XSARAHX whoops caps lock :lol:, I know her two buns are only in to when she's not in, but it's cool set up for when she's out. Hang on let me find her pic :D

here it is
P3280014.jpg
actually I wouldn't mind doing that for Holly and Dylan as they're locked up when I'm at work.

Thanks Tree! I remember seeing that and it looks fab- problem is houdini Audrey would jump out :roll: :lol: At the mo she has something similar but a smaller run area than that.

If you went for the indoor option, try some netting that you can get from a garden centre and peg it over the top of the 'run'. That's what we do with ours and as long as you use enough pegs she shouldn't be able to get out! (ours still haven't found a way and tehy have def tried!) It's then easy to roll back when you don't want it over. - Just a thought!

Kirsty

If you went for the indoor option, try some netting that you can get from a garden centre and peg it over the top of the 'run'. That's what we do with ours and as long as you use enough pegs she shouldn't be able to get out! (ours still haven't found a way and tehy have def tried!) It's then easy to roll back when you don't want it over. - Just a thought!

Kirsty

Though if she tried, could she not get caught up in it? You can get run covers from somewhere, they are green in colour......hold on...

Found it! :D
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/35639

Last edited:
:D ooh mandy you can make her a proper little bunny playpen in your summerhouse it will be wicked and her her occupied as she sounds like a minx that constantly needs to be doing something :D

I think its a good idea and you could always put some sort of wooden hide box in there that she could hide in at night to make her feel safer. Soulds lovely to me and she's always trying to get out anyway maybe it would suite her better. Pictures?

Are you banishing her cos you're scared now she bites?;) :lol:

Sounds great though, I'm sure she'll love to go outside & play

Good idea thanks! I'll get it all set up and then take some pics! :)

Thanks for the netting idea too guys, I'd completely forgotten that I had done that when I had my foster boys cos they kept jumping out. I've thrown that away now but I can always get some more.

Are you banishing her cos you're scared now she bites?;) :lol:

Sounds great though, I'm sure she'll love to go outside & play

:lol: :lol: :lol: She was really angry yesterday. She stayed in my office whilst I was away and when I got in the morning she just grunted and ran away. She decided she liked me again when we got home though and I stuck to not giving her any treats and she only got me twice :roll: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: She was really angry yesterday. She stayed in my office whilst I was away and when I got in the morning she just grunted and ran away. She decided she liked me again when we got home though and I stuck to not giving her any treats and she only got me twice :roll: :lol:

Audrey is so funny, She must be very intelligent to get so hoity toity.

It sounds a good plan, my only concern would be how hot it gets in summer. Maybe you could get one of those thermometres that record the temp so you can check :)

Tam

Thanks Tam, yes it does get a bit hot- I used to have my fosters in there so I have a thermometer somewhere, I'll have to find it. I used to give them frozen water bottles to lie against too.
She could always stay in the house if it looks like it will be really too hot as its cool inside.

Isabel, yeah I think she is really intelligent- she really does let me know if she's in a mood about something :lol:

I think your summer house is a fab set up Mandy, I'm sure Audrey would love it in there and if there were strange noises she was unsure of she'd soon realise she was safe and not worry about them.:D

Back