• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oakley' abcess - theres nothing we can do

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
morning guys, Oakley has gone to the vets this morning as she the holes left from having her teeth removed last monday have abcessed. This is dispite having her on Baytril since last Tuesday because of her snuffles. The vets are quite worried as they have abcessed even though she was on baytril. Im very very worried, please can we have lots and lots of vibes for her, i would like Oakley to make it to her 8th birthday in November xx :(

Last edited:
Oh no

Can they put her on something stronger than Baytril?

there going to look into it today and see where the abcess is coming from wether it's actually the tooth holes or something furthur upo and then see what they can put her on

Thanks Mandy and Angie, i hope she's alright too, i have no idea what i will do or what i will tell Ali if she's not, i love all our buns but she is our baby.

Hazel has just rang, she is going to x-ray Oaks head this afternoon as she suspects and ostiomylitis, Hazel has flushed her tooth holes and her eyes and it would seem that the infection is draining through them not coming from them. The x-ray is to make sure. I don't know what to do??? Hazel says we can try for 3 weeks on stronger AB's and see what happens but she wouldn't hold out much hope of it working with Oaks the age she is, and the fact that she can't eat solid food (she's still on mashed up pellets)

Lots of vibes for Oakley xx

Daisy got an abscess while on Baytril.. she is now back to being 100% healthy.. hope Oakley is the same. xxx

Oh blimey :cry:

Major Tom had osteomyelitis. Although we could not cure him the infection went into remission after treatment with DEPOCILLIN Injections. He was also on a high dose of Metacam. He was only able to eat soggy pellets too. He coped well for about 3 months. Unfortunately eventually the infection took hold again and we had to let him go :cry:

I guess with Oakley it will really depend on the extent of boney involvement :? Obviously if it is widespread then.......:cry: :cry:
But if the infection is confined to a small area maybe treatment to contain it might be an option. A lot would depend on how Oakley is within herself.
Although surgery to remove damaged bone is possible I would not put a Bun of mine through it. But that is just my personal opinion.
Another abx that has very good tissue penetration INCLUDING BONE is CEPHALEXIN. It is better given via injection as this lessens the risk of gut dysbiosis.

I am really sorry to hear about Oakley's problems :cry:

Janex

Thanks Jane, Hazel will ring me this afternoon after she has done the xrays and that will show us how much of her bond is infected. I will sugest those two drugs to Hazel and also get her to rinf Edinburgh and see if there is anything they can suggest. The infection is in the bone above her top inscisors and between her eyes.

Back