• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Rhia

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
Hey Guys, Hoping you can reassure me. Rhia has had a poorly tummy for a couple of weeks now. It is clearing up for a day or so then coming back. Zoey (Vet) gave us something to give her, but it doesnt seem to be working. Her poo's are more or less all caecotrophs (sp?!) and her wee's are pretty discusting too, ranging from murky yellow to deep red :? It cant be anything to do with her diet, as pellets and veg etc were cut out straight away when it started. Any ideas? Thank You Xx

Sorry to be graphical, but this is what she's producing ... :oops:

Rhia022.jpg

^ Where shes stood in it you can see just how sloppy it is :oops: :oops: :oops:

Rhia023.jpg

Hi Becki, I'm not good for advice I'm afraid but I hope you find out what's wrong with her. What are you feeding her on? MJ produces similar poo's (and boy do they stink when they are stamped into the floor don't they) but since I've tweaked his diet his have improved loads - I probably get one a night now rather than several. She's only young isn't she? Is she getting too much veg? I'm sure you're feeding her a brill diet anyway as you know what you're doing but I guess you don't know her background or anything and maybe the fire/smoke could hold a clue to her problems? I hope not, just an idea though.

Hope she improves soon

Kathryn x

Hi Becki, I'm not good for advice I'm afraid but I hope you find out what's wrong with her. What are you feeding her on? MJ produces similar poo's (and boy do they stink when they are stamped into the floor don't they) but since I've tweaked his diet his have improved loads - I probably get one a night now rather than several. She's only young isn't she? Is she getting too much veg? I'm sure you're feeding her a brill diet anyway as you know what you're doing but I guess you don't know her background or anything and maybe the fire/smoke could hold a clue to her problems? I hope not, just an idea though.

Hope she improves soon

Kathryn x

Thanks Everso much for your reply Kathryn. Shes actually not having anything other than hay, and hasnt had since this started a few weeks back. Thats really the reason Im worried tbh :( Do you think the fire or smoke etc could be causing problems? She's fine in herself, a normal biting, highly strung unspeyed female :)roll:) Just this is worrying me ... Xx

Hi Becki :wave:

What treatment has Rhia had so far ? Is she having Fibreplex ? Its a pro/prebiotic with added Fibre.

http://www.protexin.com/vet/product.php?id=21

What does her diet consist of now? Does she appear OK in herself ? Is she drinking a normal amount?

Sorry for all the questions but it may make things clearer if we have a bit more info.

Janex :)

I honestly don't know Becki, sorry. Perhaps you could introduce a few pellets and see if that helps? Hopefully she'll settle down, MJ's took more than 6 months until his have calmed down so I think some of it might have been stress related too. My vet recommended a pro biotic for Teddy to add to his water, have you tried that?

Hi Becki :wave:

What treatment has Rhia had so far ? Is she having Fibreplex ? Its a pro/prebiotic with added Fibre.

http://www.protexin.com/vet/product.php?id=21

What does her diet consist of now? Does she appear OK in herself ? Is she drinking a normal amount?

Sorry for all the questions but it may make things clearer if we have a bit more info.

Yep thats it Jane, Fibreplex :) Her diet consists of hay, hay and more hay. Instead of pellets for her dinner she has a handful of excel dried grass. She seems fine in herself, and I think shes drinking normally, possibly slightly less than a 'normal' bun, when I think about it :? Xx

I honestly don't know Becki, sorry. Perhaps you could introduce a few pellets and see if that helps? Hopefully she'll settle down, MJ's took more than 6 months until his have calmed down so I think some of it might have been stress related too. My vet recommended a pro biotic for Teddy to add to his water, have you tried that?

Aww I hope shes not stressed :( Certainly doesnt seem to be. I did cut down pellets to a minimum at first but within a few days there was no change so i just cut them out all together. Worrying really :(

Yep thats it Jane, Fibreplex :) Her diet consists of hay, hay and more hay. Instead of pellets for her dinner she has a handful of excel dried grass. She seems fine in herself, and I think shes drinking normally, possibly slightly less than a 'normal' bun, when I think about it :? Xx

I think the Excel dried grass has a high protein content :? Too much protein can cause excess caecotrophs and her wee may be very concentrated due to a low fluid intake.
I'd cut out the dried grass for 48 hours. Does she have a drinking bottle? If so give her a bowl of water to try to get her to drink more.
If you can find some Blackberry leaves give her a handful at night instead of the dried grass (wash the leaves well) Or you can buy dried Blackberry Leaves, I know Bunny Basics sell them.

I think the Excel dried grass has a high protein content :? Too much protein can cause excess caecotrophs and her wee may be very concentrated due to a low fluid intake.
I'd cut out the dried grass for 48 hours. Does she have a drinking bottle? If so give her a bowl of water to try to get her to drink more.
If you can find some Blackberry leaves give her a handful at night instead of the dried grass (wash the leaves well) Or you can buy dried Blackberry Leaves, I know Bunny Basics sell them.

Ooh cripes so it could be my fault?!!! :shock: I'll order some blackberry leaves now. She already has two bottles and a bowl, so that should be ok? :) Will be getting rid of bloomin grass stuff now!!! :shock: Thank You Jane, and Kathryn :D Xx

I think raspberry leaves are good too. I'm not sure if they are any good in this case, but if Jane comes along and says so:)D :D ) I'm happy to stuff some in a jiffy bag now and hopefully you'll get them tomorrow. They are fresh(obviously, being that time of year) and totally organic, nor have they been exposed to prowling wild buns. Let me know asap so I can catch the post.

I think raspberry leaves are good too. I'm not sure if they are any good in this case, but if Jane comes along and says so:)D :D ) I'm happy to stuff some in a jiffy bag now and hopefully you'll get them tomorrow. They are fresh(obviously, being that time of year) and totally organic, nor have they been exposed to prowling wild buns. Let me know asap so I can catch the post.

That would be wonderful, Thank You so much!!! :D

Ok. Pm me your adress while I'm out picking it and it'll be on its way this afternoon. There may also be somee fresh blackbery leaves as well, but I've an awful feeling rog rooted it out on Sunday!!
Hilda

Last edited:
Didn't I say on another thread that I've got lovely neighbours??. I was rootling around under the hedge trying to see if there was anything left of the blackberry after Roger's efforts on Sunday. Colin next door asked what I was doing and when I told him he went off and cut a long piece from his trained ones for me!!!! He's also an organic gardener, so no worries on that score! He's a proper organic bloke though..I'm organic as I'm too lazy to be bothered faffing about with sprays etc!!!

Didn't I say on another thread that I've got lovely neighbours??. I was rootling around under the hedge trying to see if there was anything left of the blackberry after Roger's efforts on Sunday. Colin next door asked what I was doing and when I told him he went off and cut a long piece from his trained ones for me!!!! He's also an organic gardener, so no worries on that score! He's a proper organic bloke though..I'm organic as I'm too lazy to be bothered faffing about with sprays etc!!!

Awwww thats brilliant, thank you!!! And Thank you colin!! :lol:

Back