• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

WalnutEarth626

Alpha Buck
I've litter trained one of my bucks -well i thought I had..... :roll:

I first put the tray in about 2 weeks ago, and he took to it straight away, no fuss at all. So I've been cleaning it out and putting dirty sawdust back in, until Tuesday evening, when i emptied it and put it back with clean sawdust. I went down the shed last night to find hes been chucking the tray round the hutch, so i put it back and hes done the same this morning :roll:

Do you have to put dirty sawdust in everytime you clean the tray? I assumed he'd be used to it after 2 weeks? Why has he started throwing it around now? And now how do I teach him that his litter tray is not a toy?! :roll:

how old is your buck? and is he neutered?

i dont know if it is common but when teegra was ready to be 'done' he started peeing and pooping everywhere (my bed included :x ) and he would pick his corner tray up and throw it everywhere. could you try attaching the tray somehow velcro, cable ties etc?

Hes 2 1/2 and currently a stud buck - when I move in a few months time the plan is to neuter him and bond him with my spayed doe and have them as house rabbits - just thought it would make life easier if they were already used to litter trays before they came in the house!

i suppose it could be hormonal maybe (as it is spring etc) apart from attaching his tray down somehow not quite sure what to suggest sorry :oops:
<thinks>
unless you could put more trays down ands reduce the amount of trays as he starts going in just 1 or 2. also could you buy some 'special' hay such as timothy or orchard grass etc to put in his tray as it might encourage him to go in there more (and as you are probably aware they like to eat whilst they 'go') or make the litter tray his primary source of hay?

hope you get it sorted soon :D

Back