• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

And I thought I was doing so well with her...

Fayeloicia

Warren Scout
For the past fews nights, Leila has sat on my knee like a good little bun instead of trying to jump away. After stroking her for a while, she licks my arm in return! :love: Then she'll stick her head in the crook of my elbow, which I assume is her wanting more strokes. She gets them anyway. This goes on until she just rests head head on my arm.

Joey will just give my arm a bath regardless of what I'm doing, lol.

But when I returned home for my dinner break, I put the buns in the run on the grass. When it came for me to put them back in their hutch, I ofund them both flopped out on the grass, obviously enjoying the sun.

I've now taken to putting the pet carrier in the run with me when I'm trying to catch them to return them home. Usually they get the point, and after about 10 secs of chasing they both jump in the carrier. Neither is fond of being picked up, though they are fine once you have hold of them.

Well, today, Leila decided she just was not going in the carrier. After racing round the run a few times so I couldn't catch her, she attacked and bit my ankle (it was exposed, I have my work trousers and sandals on), which has now formed into a tiny lump on my leg.

I did manage to pick her up afterwards, she just cowered in the corner and grunted at me.

I thought I was starting to gain her trust, so I can't understand why she attacked me. She's never tried before.

She was just telling you in the only way she knew how, that she didn't want to go back in! I wouldn't take it personally - from her point of view she might be wondering why she was still being chased when she hadn't gone in the carrier to be put away:lol:

Is she spayed? That might make her a bit more docile, or you could try other things - like always having food for them when you put them away, so even if they don't want to come in, they want treats.

With calel (I don't chase him, he chases me!:lol: ), if he doesn't go in the carrier, i sit & wait. He gets bored eventually & pops in.

sounds like a stroppy teenage phase to me. my frida has been like this since she changed overnight from cutsie baby bun to teenage fiend (she's almost 1 now). i have to be honest, neutering has calmed her in that she doesnt attack constantly anymore but she still has a will of iron and will only go in when SHE wants to :lol:

like Angie says, i think patience (and spaying) are the key here. she'll go in when she wants to. or return joey first then try leila afterwards. bribe her with her favourite treat.

i once read somewhere that rabbits dont like to be returned to their space by being picked up and put away - they prefer to return when they want to. sounds like overindulging toddlers :lol: but to make life easier, i do that with my 2 awkward ones.

just to point put Leila is speyed as she came from here:D

not to worry .one days bad behaviour is probably her just testing you out!:lol:
Dutches..and this is a generalisation..tend to be quite intelligent so this leads to more than your average amount of mischief! It also makes them fun to own.

just keep doing what you have been and I'm sure she'll settle again..
obviously if she remains bad tempered for a few days check she isn't in any pain at all...
keep us posted x

Maybe it is just her personality. Oscar is a little :censored: at times, and isnt fond of being picked up and will grunt at me and box me.... I am used to it though, he has bit my foot too...!! In my experience, they just like to get their own way, and if they dont want to do something they will let you know!! Definately a dutchie thing ;), although Benjamin (also a dutchie) is the complete opposite of Oscar (cuddly, loving and will let you pick him up, in fact he comes to you to be picked up), and has never ever shown any agreesive behaviour. :?

I wouldnt worry :D shes probably just testing you and being a little madam!

She was just happy out in the sun and wanted to stay there. Mine will only come in if I entice them with pellets. I would suggest that you save the feeding of pellets until you want the bunnies to go back in their carrier and they will go into the carrier voluntarily. Mine will follow me in by themselves, if I call their names and show them the pellet bag, or vegetables

Well, I put her away again last night, and I think she knew when I put the carrier in the run it was hometime, as she jumped straight in it!

She's been fine since, so I think she was just upset her sunbathing session got cut short!

Back