• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pedigree Show/Breeding Bunny Info

Benji&Evie

Warren Scout
Just wondering...

Evie still has her show / breeding ring on her back leg, its not too tight or anything but if i can id like to get it off her.

Anyone know a safe way to do this, should i get the vet to?
I have no idea who put it on or where she was from originaly (i doubt it was the person i got her from) and to be honest it doesnt matter to me now, shes spayed and in her forever home.

I just dont like the thought of her still having those ties and this horrid ring.

It says B.R.C 04 X 04207
It would be interesting to know more about her but not that important because shes now an officially retired, spayed house bunny :thumb:

Am I right in thinking that she was born in 2004 and not as old as I was told? Funny, I thought shed be older not younger, i guess they got rid because of her small litters :(

Yes the according to the ring she's wearing, your bun was born in 2004.

I seriously doubt she will have been sold on for 'producing' too small litters.
Netherland dwarfs are known for only having small litters.... usually up to 4 max...but it's not rare for them to only have 1 or 2 babies per litter. They are simply tiny buns to carry more babies.

There will have been other reasons why she was rehomed (that is if she came from a show BRC breeder). Maybe she was being run on for showing....but as she matured, didn't show the show standard type/colour etc...so was found a pet home instead.

There are many reasons etc.
I'm glad she is healthy and happy in her new home :D

Hmmm I dont know a lot about breeding and pedigree to be fair being in rescue but I didnt know neatherlands had such small litters as standard, thanks. :thumb:

I dont 'really' know where she came from, a youngish girl had her and was apparently breeding her and passed her onto me but I dont think she was registered or Evies original breeder as she didnt really know how old she was.

I was told she was 100% not pregnant when I took her and ended up with 2 babies last year 15days after she got home :roll:
Fortunately all was well and they too have a lovely new home together and are now neutered.

Dug out the babies development topic for those interested :)
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=70940

Last edited:
I used to breed Nethies and preferred smaller litters as it meant you got better fed youngsters.

You are correct, the ring means she was born in 2004, unfortunately rings don't give as much detail as tattoos so don't tell you what month she was born. If you want to know more you can ring the BRC www.thebrc.org (numbers on the website) and they'll give you the breeders details.

If you can hold her still for long enough an ordinary wire cutter/ring cutter will cut through the ring - you may have to cut both sides so it falls off in 2 halves.

If you can hold her still for long enough an ordinary wire cutter/ring cutter will cut through the ring - you may have to cut both sides so it falls off in 2 halves.

Ahh thanks for that, theyre tough *******.
I dont think we have anything here small/sharp enough without risking it not going through all the way and leaving a sharp edge so ill ask my vet if he has something next time we visit.

She will happily sit upright or upside down while its done so thats not a problem

The dental drill is normally the best thing to use to remove them, most bunnies dont need any sedation either. The problem with using cutters is that it can be quite jaring on the leg and if the bunny jumps at the wrong point a leg is easily broken! I've never seen a small enough but sharp enough tool able to get into the ring without being too close for comfort to the leg. We pop a small guard against the leg under the ring and then use the drill to drill the ring on both sides to slip it off.

PLEASE DO NOT try to remove the ring yourself...apart from the danger of cutting the rabbits leg..you can easily break the leg bone by the bun suddenly twisting whilst you are trying to exert enough pressure to cut ring..or just yourself jerking the cutters can cause damage.
Always get a vet to do it.:D

Back