• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying - separating buns

howiep

New Kit
hi all. hope ur all well & of course all ur little buns.

Our little missy has gone if for her spaying op today.......we're a bag of nerves!!! the vet kindly took both buns in, as they're fairly newly bonded, and through reading this site it sounded like it was best to send them in together.

The vet said we should maybe think about keeping them separated within their runs back at home, due to missy having stiches & being delicate for a few days. This won't be easy for us to do, the only way i can think of is putting her in a cage within the run? i was writing to see what people have done in the past with regards to this, i dont want to separate them, but nor do i want her to have any trouble with her stiches from running around or him biting at them (not that he prob will).

I'd see how they are when they get home, if he's a bit too lively, is there any way you can have them apart but where they can still see/smell and possibly touch each other? Personally, i dont think i'd split them :) Xx

I have fostered buns for 2 local rescues for almost 9 years. I will only separate them if one is persistently bothering the other, I have never had to do this will all of the ones I have had neutered which is a lot!

The vet we usually use uses glue with a subcuticular stitc which is disolvable. do check with your vet that they have used glue on the stitch line as well when you collect them.

All the rabbits I have had which were bonded with someone else have always made a quicker recovery than the singles which we have neutered.

My personal opinion would be to keep the together but keep an eye on them, if one is bothering the other then only separate them.

I am sure she will be fine.

thanks for the resassurance, i didnt want to separate them,
and they dont usually bother each other too much. I much prefer the idea of just keeping an eye on them.

ill keep u posted on her recovery. thanks peops x

well missys back home now, and she seems in good spirit. You can obviously tell she's not completely with it, hobbling a little around the cage, and just really taking it easy. She's had a little nibble on her pellets, but she's been eating grass/hay, which is a relief, and she's also been producing droppings too. The vets just advised us to keep an eye on her wound. She's been given disposable stitches and we just need to check she's ot chewing on them, so he said there's no need to take her back. He said we should pick her up and check her wound, but im kinda scared about lifting her up. Her body around her back legs almost looks a little empty from having all the bits removed, bless her.

Back