• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help Urgent

karen&poppy

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, need some help. Came home tonight and Poppy has got a hard oval shaped thing that looks like a big scab (but its not) on her shoulder. The fur has gone in a small outline around the hard thing and around the thing you can see her skin and a bit of blood. If you lift the thing up its kind of attached to her but to the inside of her skin not the skin surface. I know everyone is thinking 'tick' but how big are ticks? This is about the size of a 2p but oval shaped, brown and hard. Please help, i dont know what to do. I know i should go straight to vets but i haven't got £50 to throw around in emergency vets fees if it is a tick (as i know there are ways to remove these). however, if nobody knows then please don't attack me - i will take her and pay the cash. Just can't afford to pay it for the vet to do something i could do. She is fine within herself and it doesn't seem to be bothering her, when i was looking at it and gently pulling at it she just sat there content. Please help!

Has Poppy had any injections or Vaccinations recently ?
If so it could simply be she had a slight local reaction at the site of innoculation, a scab formed, and now its coming off.

Janex

hi no poppy hasn't had any injections or anything, she was spayed a few weeks ago so put off doing her vaccs till she's fully recovered. not sure if you can see but here is the thing, best i can do. its on her shoulder blade, the fur has gone around it and its hard, brown and about the size of a 2p. it looks like a jelly fish when you lift it up, its like suctioned onto her raw skin. i'm getting her in the vets tomoro but would be great if someone could put my mind at rest?

table005.jpg

table004.jpg

and heres a pic of her just so you can see how cute she is!

Poppy.jpg

I would wager a pretty hefty bet that that is a scab from 'Baytril Burn'
She probably had a shot of Baytril (antibiotic) when she was spayed. How long ago was she done? The scab from Baytril Burn can still be present 3-4 WEEKS after the injection was given

Janex

It sounds like it is possible that this is a site of an injection, such as baytril or something else that they give them whilst doing a spey. A few years ago we had a number of both rabbits and piggies get this type of reaction to a injection they give prior to anaesthetic. Our vet Christabel put it down to Baytril.

If there are no other symptoms, I would ring the vet in the morning and double check with them if this is where they injected your rabbit.

It's difficult to say from the pictures. I think though if it was a tick it would be obviously soo. They're like little ballons sat on the skin surface.

Has she have any vaccinations/injections recently?

If it's dry then I'd leave it and pop her down the vets tommorow. If it's bleeding/wet you could clean it with cooled bolied water. You can always phone the vet if you're woried but if she's otherwise eating, drinking, acting normally then an appointmnt tommorow should be fine.

Tam

she was spayed on may 3rd. if that is the case then what should i do? the scab is weird its like its ready to pull off but (sorry for being graphic) underneath the scab is all juicy and bloody etc. thanks for all your help so far, am such a worrier. and is the shoulderblade a likely place that she may have received baytril? please advise me what to do next

sorry i didn't mean ready to pull off i mean ready to come off as its peeling away from the skin around the outsides but its still stuck fast to the middle

Just leave the scab alone. The tissue underneath will heal up nicely. Keep an eye on it and look for signs of it weeping or the skin around it looking very red.
It may take another 2 weeks for the scab to finally come off. You may then find the new skin becomes dry and flakey. In which case just apply a small amount of vaseline or aloe vera gel to it.

Janex

thank you so much, you have just put my mind at rest! i thought it'd be obvious it was a tick too but my mum had a look on the internet and as they were the same type of shape as the scab, we just presumed. but it really does look just like a scab. i'll ring the vet tomoro and ask was she given an injection there. i only noticed it today i mean she's handled regularly but you had to really part the fur to see it (she's very fluffy) so it may well have been there but i just didn't notice it before. thank you so much for all your help

Hi, just if anyone is interested i phoned the vet today and she had been administered baytril in the same spot as the scab. Looked at it today and it looks like its drying up nicely. Thanks for all your help

Hi, just if anyone is interested i phoned the vet today and she had been administered baytril in the same spot as the scab. Looked at it today and it looks like its drying up nicely. Thanks for all your help

Flippin' Baytril Burn can look really horrid !! I am sure Poppy will soon heal up.
Just make sure she uses some moisturising Aloe Vera Gel on the new skin if it looks dry and flakey ;) :D

Janex

yeah it is a bit horrible to look at its just a massive scab! the blood around it looks dry today, panicked yesterday cos it looked a bit 'juicy' (sorry!). am so glad i came on here instead of paying £50 in emergency vets fees to be told its a scab! doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, its well buried in all her fluff! thanks again and i'll keep an eye out for dry skin. am not looking forward to finding the scab though, its huge!

one more question, what is the cause of the burn? like is it any sort of sign of a bad vet or anything or does it just sometimes happen? the vets receptionist was really helpful about the matter and seemed very knowledgable

one more question, what is the cause of the burn? like is it any sort of sign of a bad vet or anything or does it just sometimes happen? the vets receptionist was really helpful about the matter and seemed very knowledgable

Its just a local skin reaction. It can help reduce the risk of it occuring if a new needle is used to give the injection from the one used to draw it up. Also ensuring the needle goes fully subcutaneous and no Baytril goes intradermal and also massaging the site of injection for a couple of mins' after administration. But sometimes despite all these precautions some Rabbits will have a bad skin reaction.

Janex

Hiya Just wanted to say Sooty had the exact same thing after he had his op and he now has a white spot of fur in that spot, which is a good job or I'd have trouble telling Sooty and Sweep apart!! :lol:

Look

RIMG0888.jpg

update: the scab has fallen off :shock: but i haven't found it thank god! its just a pink circle of skin where it was and like a red dot in the middle, dried blood. looks fine but i'll keep my eye on her anyway. looks like she's prob scratched it off a bit too soon but doesn't look sore or anything. thanks again. hope the fur grows back she looks a bit weird!

Back