• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Psychologically disturbed over hay now :-S

Veronica

Mama Doe
Ok....at the weekend, I was doing my weekly bunny hutch cleanouts.
I'd got to the stage where I was dishing out the fresh hay....opened a brand new bag of hay, started grabbing handfuls of hay and putting them in the hutches.

One handful, I felt something hard, so with my other hand, went to pull it out (thinking it was a stone, or twig or something).
Nope....it was a stiff, decomposing absolutely horrifying sight of a dead mouse...in my hand. :shock:

I dropped it on the floor, screamed and ran. ( I don't know why I ran...it isn't like it was going to go anywhere??).

Anyhow, after this hay incident, I'm now completely paranoid of picking up a handfuls of hay complete with stiff mouse :(
I hate having to go and give the buns their hay now.....I really do :(

I know, hay is kept in barns etc...and it's not the most unusual thing to ever happen....but the fact is it did, and I held a completely rotting, stiff mouse in my hand....and now I'm psychologically disturbed over it.

I need help :(

:lol:

A dead mouse is better than a live one ;)

Having had to kill rather a lot here, I went from calling GemmaH to remove the bodies to quite easily picking them up and disposing of them, you do get used to it.... however it's not likely to happen again to you

You could just buy your hay in bags, less likely to have unpleasant surprises in

That's just it KayJay....this was a prepacked, newly opened bag of hay from a well known pet shop :shock: I hadn't been to the animal feeds supplier as usual this week, so got a bag of hay from the shop, as it was on my way home. :shock:

That's just it KayJay....this was a prepacked, newly opened bag of hay from a well known pet shop :shock: I hadn't been to the animal feeds supplier as usual this week, so got a bag of hay from the shop, as it was on my way home. :shock:

:shock: :shock: that surprises me, I'd kind of expect it out of a hay bale but not in a prepacked bag. I'd take it back and complain as it can't be good for the hay to have a decomposing mouse in it

As I said though, keep reminding yourself a dead mouse is better than opening it and a live one running out :lol:

:shock: :shock: that surprises me, I'd kind of expect it out of a hay bale but not in a prepacked bag. I'd take it back and complain as it can't be good for the hay to have a decomposing mouse in it

As I said though, keep reminding yourself a dead mouse is better than opening it and a live one running out :lol:

True yeah :lol: I had to chuck all the hay already dished out to the buns out...so for that night they had no hay :( Better than them chewing on dead mouse hay I suppose.

My mum said I should have kept it, and the bag and taken it back to the shop...but seriously.....not a chance I'd want to be transporting that in the back of my car.

It wasn't so much that is was dead either...it was half decomposed, and the fact I held it in my bear hand....shuuuudddeeerrrr ewwww

OMG I was just about to start a thread to see if this has ever happened to any one or if it could happen!

Sorry you've had a shock. I am always paranoid about that happeining and it never has to me.

I've found HALF a dead mouse in my hay before. It had little insects crawling on it :mrgreen: :shock:

Like you, I was so disturbed by it that I stopped buying hay from that supplier.

I found a hard squashed decomposing dead frog in the middle of a bag of hay i bought from a petshop before.. it smelt like manure or something :oops:

Eww I'd wear gardening gloves until the memory had faded away.

Still not as bad as walking out to the loo and standing in mouse guts...:eek:

When I still lived at home I was going to the loo (off the conservatory which has a tiled floor), the family cat is a very good hunter, only she likes to leave things around the place and I trod in it in my bare feet ***ick*** My mum, and OH, and sister found it pretty funny though.

I wear gardening gloves! :lol: I have a phobia of mice ... and having kept the hay on my garage mice had been getting in .- So I wore gloves in caseI ever came across one.
I am not surprised you screamed!

This is the advantage of our hay as its all packed by hand and not by machine so its us who would get the shock not you.

Back