• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help my rabbit just gave birth!

loulou78

New Kit
Hi all!
Sorry to have to jump in for help straight away but as the title states my bunny gave birth last night.
I don't know how many she has had but one was outside of the "nest" where the other babies are, does this mean she is rejecting it? Or something else.
I spoke to the vet who told me to try and get it into the nest with the others without touching it, which i managed to do.
But i noticed that it is much bigger than the other babies and doesnt seem as pink. Is this normal?

Hi all!
Sorry to have to jump in for help straight away but as the title states my bunny gave birth last night.
I don't know how many she has had but one was outside of the "nest" where the other babies are, does this mean she is rejecting it? Or something else.
I spoke to the vet who told me to try and get it into the nest with the others without touching it, which i managed to do.
But i noticed that it is much bigger than the other babies and doesnt seem as pink. Is this normal?

Hello

Have you removed the Buck (daddy bun) from your Doe ? If not it is very likely they have mated again and your Doe will be pregnant for a second time.

As for the kits, their skin colour will dictate the colour of their fur once it grows. So the darker skined Bun will have dark fur. As long as all the kits are now in the nest the Doe should do all that is necessary to care for them. Kits only usually suckle once a day, most often during the night, so you may not see her going to feed them.
If your Doe is used to dark leafy greens feeding her those will help her milk production. Dont introduce food she is not used to though.
If Mum and babies are in a double decker hutch its a good idea to close off the ramp to prevent any straying babies falling down it.

Janex :)

Thankyou very very much! Have been very worried about it.
Yes the Daddy has been removed, so no chance of her being pregnant again.
Time to just leave her to it i suppose.
Thankyou again:)

With my free ad babies - they kept being dragged out of the nest. If you rub your hands in dirty litter, you can put them back in & cover them up. Best to disturb them as little as possible though.

If any die, remove them. i lost one out of 7 :(

Mum should just get on with it and look after them. I agree with what the others have said, greens will help milk production and avoid putting your own scent on them by rubbing hands in mums poop :shock: first. I used to put a small plastic bag or glove on my hand first though;)

Check the nest once a day but try to avoid disturbing them too often (hard I know when your dying to have a peek:) ) When my girl had a surprise litter we sadly lost 2 out of 4 in the first few days:(

About 6 years ago my rabbits had an accidental litter....The mum had them on the floor of my outhouse rather than in the nest she had made..all the babies died ... 2 months later my kids let the rabbits together again, and the same thing happened...my vet at the time said leave alone and nature would take it's course but my netherland woasn't having any of looking after her babies and consequently that litter died too..so swiftly went my buck to the vets...Now as a result of that i would never ever have my rabbits breed as in the past when i was a little one it happened to my rabbits at home..a total of about 5 times in my life...Maybe i just had bad wabbit mummies..i don't know:cry:

Hiya, sorry I wasn't around to see this thread yesterday (exams yuk) but yeah that's right mum will do what she has to do to look after them.

My bun had babies 3 weeks ago (totally unexpected we got her as a rescue:shock: ) and it totally freaked me out still is in fact but she seems to know what to do even though it perhaps doesn't look like much of the time.

It's nice to have somewhere come and talk to people who can reasure you in times of worry :D.

Eunice

Thankyou everyone for your replies.
All seems to be going well so far. She has 4 little ones that seem to have doubled in size since they were born, so she must be doing a good job. She is eating lots of greens and seems very happy.
I am so proud of her, and these babies are going to be beautiful:love:

Back