• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hot Topic: What do you wish you'd known?

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I thought a fun thing to do as a forum would be to post a 'hot topic' for the week to get the friendly debates going and maybe learn some new things.

This weeks topic: What's the one bit of advice/information you wish you'd had as a brand new rabbit owner? (two sentences max)

Who's going to get us started?

I wish we were told just what a nightmare Poppet our Cashmere Lop was going to be with her fur clumping up! I wish I'd known about the forum from day one as well.

Neil

I wish I'd known many decades ago that Rabbits are the best 'therapy' for depression. Wouldn't have wasted so may years talking to counsellors who were worse 'head cases' than me !! :roll: :lol:

Janex

That rabbits are happier in pairs - I had no idea how happy bonding one rabbit with another makes them and it makes my heart break to think of all the lonely rabbits out there

That it is wrong to feed a full bowl of pellets to any rabbit and that hay is so important that it should make up 80% of the diet.

Mix is better for rabbit owners to look at, it is prettier :) whilst pellets are better for rabbits to maintain the teeth and the GI tract of all rabbits.

Well... i wish someone had told me there were thousands of rabbits awaiting homes in rescues and that two boys are difficult to go together.... but for the second one, its not really a regret as i wouldnt have the benjamin if it wasnt for my ignorence.

Always double check the sex of your rabbits, before you get them, after you get them and a few weeks later, particuarly if you have a pair of rabbits. Some retailers have a poor reputation for their ability to correctly sex rabbits.

A vet who has always been experienced and good with the family cats and dogs, will not necessarily have any knowledge of rabbit care.

That you should go with your gut instinct when your rabbit is unwell, and not to take the word of the vet you dont trust

That 3 foot boxes were not ok to keep bunnies alone in full time
That bunnies chew (well at least I let him out of his 3 ft box!)

That they could be prone to so many problems - I never knew about GI stasis, cystitis, mites, abscesses, head tilt (the list goes on). But I wouldnt be without Gus, my expensive but amazing bunster.

That they shouldn't be fed on mix food and hay should make up most of their diet.

Also, how much they steal your heart in such a short space of time.

Back