• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Turning Cupboards into Bunny Houses!!

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
This may sound like a stupid question, BUT has anyone ever converted a cupboard into an indoor bunny house? I'm not talking kitchen cupboards here - but a walk in cupboard "under the stairs"???

This seems (at the moment) to be a good solution to house Maddie and her new husbun in so that they have their own area without living under our kitchen table (and obviously they'll have more privacy there too).

If anyone has done this can they post some ideas, or photos, or tips on things to do or avoid? I'll take the door off obviously! :lol:

<Goes away to lock herself in said cupboard for being stupid> :oops:

im sure karen (runnybabbit) said that she had done that whilst we were at kays on sunday

sounds like a good idea to me

i used to keep Gus in the under stairs cupboard (with the door open of course) and a pen around the front. but ill be honest, i used to bang my head constantly when cleaning it.

he was quite happy there but we moved him upstairs when he was poorly and we didnt use it again until we got frida. however, frida hated it - it was too gloomy for her i think, but i suppose it depends how the natural light is near your cupboard.

Karen (runnybabbit) has done it, Dobbs and Candy lived in there (both angel bunnies now :cry: ). I've seen it and it looked great and they were very happy in there, have a chat to her Kerry

You could use a stair gate instead of a door which would let more light in but don't forget rabbits naturally live in burrows so I don't think they'd mind no natural light

I had my understairs base for my four indoor buns - it's like a larder attached to the side of the kitchen - we cleared it out and moved them in. This is what we did - I haven't done cupboard conversions tho, think Jane has ....

CIMG7671.jpg

They loved sleeping on the shelf

CIMG7682.jpg

But where would you put your shoes?:?

:lol:

Thats a good point - its our "store all the junk and shut the door" cupboard at the moment, so we'll just have to get organised!

Chloaster - thats what ours looks like too (well when its empty) and i'd thought of putting in a "shelf" at the back like that for them to hop up onto. Baby gate on the front, or some mesh on a frame too. Glad someone else has thought of this!

The room is really bright, but the cupboard is at the back so it'll get nice natural light but not too bright.

Will Lino be ok on the floor?

We have the tiles which I left bare as they stay really cool in the summer. I've used lino in the past in my outdoor coop but the beatles ate it :roll: and moisture got underneath it and went mouldy :? Inside it may work well tho, I know other people have used it and found it to be great. If you can get some stuff with the bobbly texture to it I think they prefer it as they can get some grip too. :D

What a great idea! I'm sure Maddie and her new husbun will love it. It'll be like having a bunny flat...how cute! :D

Chloaster, how on earth did you get that group of bunnies together? I'm having terrible bonding problems with my two.

Back