• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rumbling stomach but normal poo/eating

Nina99

New Kit
Hi
Minky's stomach is rumbling really loudly throughout the day. He's a usually very healthy 2 year old house rabbit, and has been on the same diet for 18 months now with no problems (lots of hay, one small feed of superexcel at 6pm, small treats of veg - carrots / broccoli mostly).

His normal poo seems absolutely fine - quite light in colour, good size and crumbly, although he is producing excess caratrophs (but he has always done this). His appetite is as ravenous as usual and he is drinking and playing normally.

All of the related advice seems to link stomach rumbles to not eating or small poos or lethargy, so I'm really not sure if I need to get him to the vets.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
:(

IMO if he is eating OK and behaving normally I'd just keep an eye (or an ear!) on his grumbly belly....I occasionally hear a gurgly tum on my buns when we're sat quietly for a fuss, but if everything else is normal I don't think you need to worry.
Could he have eaten a bit more than normal (i.e. has he been munching in the garden) and his stomach is working overtime?

just keep an eye on him - if he's pooing normally im sure he'll be alright

but you could try moving him onto SS if he produces excess caecotrophs. i did this for my gus and it worked. :D

re: rumbling bun tum

Thanks both - I feel reassured not to panic, I'll keep a close eye on him.

Sorry Sarah, what's SS? Mine have both always eaten excel as that's what they were eating when we got them from the rescue centre, so I'm not that clued up on the different types.

Thanks xxx

hiya, sorry to not add any new advise. but i was only wondering the same thing today! one of my buns had a really big rumble in her belly. but everything else seems fine so i guess it's just like a rumble in a human belly

alex xx

sometimes its a bit of a tummy problem..oscar was prone to stais and the first signs were a rumbly tummy and he was eating and pooping fine but then the xtra soft poos appeared..lot sof them every day all day..and thenthe poos got smaller gradulally till it was noticeable..

bif also gets this when her tummy isnt working as it should..

very oftenits gas thatd oes it..when theyve eaten fresh green grass..a lot of greens..certain fruits...fermenation causes gas so the more likely the food is to fermetn fast the more loud it usually is! thenit leads to the most odd thing..a bunny toot! you either hearit or smellit! lovely!

if its a constant rumble then seek vets advice further.

The poo is the best sign of illness. As long as this is normal he should be okay. SS is Science Selective its the best pellet food for buns IMO.

Back