• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Separating a sick bunny from partner

Hello don't know if anyone remembers me but my Bella has suddenly gone off her food and isn't looking too happy.
Taking her to the vet in a few minutes but as I'm having to get a taxi I'm not going to be able to take her hubby Marlon too.
If they decide to keep her in (I have a feeling it may well be her teeth) will the two bunnies be okay separated overnight?

Ta for any help.

separating buns

Sorry to hear, and hope it's good news at the vets.

My girl Molly was very sick last year (she stopped eating and collapsed - it turned out to be a kidney infection). She was kept in overnight at the vets, and then kept separately from Minky for several weeks while we treated her and built up her strength. After this period of time we had to re-introduce the rabbits again, they didn't seem to recognise each other at all, but a few days later they were back to normal. Minky seemed fine when he was on his own, we just made sure we spent a lot of time with him.

We have separated them for just a night before, and this was absolutely fine.

If you can take them both I would, they might be more stressed if seperated, and being alone in a strange place could unnerving for Bella, having ber hubby will help calm her down I'm sure. Best check the vet can accomedate both first?

I managed to take them both together but now need to separate them for the evening to get a urine sample from Bella. They wanted to keep her in and do it themselves but said Marlon couldn't stay with her as they wouldn't know who they were getting a sample from so I brought them home instead and will do it myself.
I also have some of that syringe fed recovery stuff to give her.

I hope it doesn't come to having to keep them apart at all, Bella was definitely calmer with Marlon there.

Thank you all for the help and I hope all your bunnies are well!

Back