• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay at 14-16 weeks

lisa82

Mama Doe
Following your help and reassurance about Jess and Elsie fighting they are booked in for spaying this Wednesday. I have had a search of previous posts which say spaying can be done from 5-6 months. When they went for their VHD vaccinations the vet said they could be booked in for a spay soon particularly as Jess was a bit grumpy (the humping one!). Just wanted to check with you that it is ok spaying them now as they are only 14-16 weeks old. Have you had any rabbits spayed at this age?

Hi There,

yes your bunnies can be spayed at 14-16wks:D
Some vets won`t do it til they are 5-6mths but aslong as your vet is confident in what he`s doing & the bunnies are in good health & of a healthy weight then they can be done at 4 mths.

HTH

Su.x

Many vets do not nueter females until they are older, however saying that my vet will do this at approximately 4 months. Some vets have a magic 1 kg as the weight that a rabbit should be, others don't.

From my own experience, the younger rabbits do seem to recover quicker than the ones who are a quite a bit older. At a younger age they are usually carrying less fat than the older buns which means that the fat deposits do not hold on to the anaesthetic for as long as a nice lean young rabbit.

Does anyone know if the risk is any higher having them done 14/16 weeks? Im wanting to get *the extremely hormonal* Rhia done asap, but it seems so very young XX

If anything the risk is lower getting them done much younger. They develop a layer of fat around the uterus as they get older making the operation more difficult. I have also found they heal a lot quicker when they are done young. I have on many occasions had females spayed at 12/13 weeks.

If anything the risk is lower getting them done much younger. They develop a layer of fat around the uterus as they get older making the operation more difficult. I have also found they heal a lot quicker when they are done young. I have on many occasions had females spayed at 12/13 weeks.

Wow, Thats Brilliant!!! :D Will have a word with Zoey about getting stroppy done Xx

Back