• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help please my bunny is not too well

ellalily

New Kit
hi 1 of my female lionheads had a litter of babies on 27th april,i took the babies to pet shop all 6 of them and kept 1,2 days after taking the babies away she started to have runny poos and pull quite a lot of her hair out so i thought she may be giving birth again. after a day or 2 there was no babies but whilst cleaning hutch i found 2 dead babes.she carried on with runny poo for a week and now it is getting a lot better she is quite thin but is eating normaly,i took her off her fresh veggies and just left her on normal rabbit mix.there is no sign of any worms and baby who lives with her is fine so are both other rabbits.would appreciate some advice thankyou.

hi 1 of my female lionheads had a litter of babies on 27th april,i took the babies to pet shop all 6 of them and kept 1,2 days after taking the babies away she started to have runny poos and pull quite a lot of her hair out so i thought she may be giving birth again. after a day or 2 there was no babies but whilst cleaning hutch i found 2 dead babes.she carried on with runny poo for a week and now it is getting a lot better she is quite thin but is eating normaly,i took her off her fresh veggies and just left her on normal rabbit mix.there is no sign of any worms and baby who lives with her is fine so are both other rabbits.would appreciate some advice thankyou.

Is the Doe now SEPERATE from the Buck?
She sounds not to be in any state to be allowed to get pregnant again. PLEASE take her to a Vet ASAP as she may need treatment. She has obviously had a very traumatic time having lots of babies, some who died :cry: The poor girl must feel exhausted :cry:
Serious complications can arise from allowing a Doe to have numerous litters. Some of the complications can lead to the death of the Doe aswell as the babies :cry:

I think your poor Doe needs a thorough examination by your Vet. She also needs a good HAY based diet, there are many different hays available. The stuff you buy pre-packed from Pet Shops is often of poor nutritional value. Try alternative hay suppliers such as The Hay Experts

http://www.thehayexperts.com/

Your Doe may also benefit from a probiotic which you add to her drinking water

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=31

Janex

:shock: :shock: OMG am I reaing this right? how old were the babies when you took them to the pet shop?, the hutch hadn't been cleaned out since she gave birth? and yet the other babies went to the pet shop?:shock: and how long has she had runny poos?

Sorry, but you rabbit need to get to a vet to get examined URGENTLY.

Having re-read your post I have just realised that the babies you took to the Pet Shop were only just over 3 weeks old.............:?

I hope that has not really happened...............

Janex

That`s how i`ve read it too:(

have posted a reply in `Care`

Su.x

Hi ellalily,
You've come to the right place, and regardless of your situation, people here will always give you great advice.
However, nothing can replace giving your bunny a 'good MOT' by taking her to the vets.

I hope she's ok,
Anna

:shock: :shock: OMG am I reaing this right? how old were the babies when you took them to the pet shop?, the hutch hadn't been cleaned out since she gave birth? and yet the other babies went to the pet shop?:shock: and how long has she had runny poos?

Sorry, but you rabbit need to get to a vet to get examined URGENTLY.

the first litter was 8 weeks when i took them to pet shop,and it was a few days later i saw the fur that looked like a nest but i couldnt see any babies,but later that day while cleaning it out i found 2 dead babies,and i waited a week after the mums giving birth before cleaning out hutch as i didnt want to disturb babies to soon.since taking her of fresh veggies and just having her on rabbit food from pet shop and hay the runny poo has stopped.i wouldnt leave me rabbits in a dirty hutch for 8 weeks.lol.to be honest i am more worried about the fur she has pulled out from the side of her,as i knew she was eating and drinking ok.

sorry wrong date on here

babies born 27th march not 27th april

Hi. Take her to the vet and have her checked over. Is she having plenty hay?

hi thanks for the advice,i will take her to the vets if i think she is getting worse but i really think she is fine now,i took my 2 lionhead females from an advert online as the people who had them was moving away and couldnt take them,now the hutches they came in were very small as they are quite big rabbits so i think theese rabbits were very over weight as they felt fat and didnt move much when i let them out.weve had them about 4 months now and i think that maybe i am thinking she is thin when she isnt because she was so over weight when they arrived as my buck is lean,am i right in thinking this?what do you think?.when i let them out now they seem to have more energy,and i moved my smaller buck into one of their hutches as i had a big hutch then bought another big hutch from ebay.

maybe you can weigh her every week to keep an eye on her weight.. also it may give an indication if she is a good weight or not although lionheads do vary quite a bit.
Glad she is ok again now.. maybe you would consider changing her onto a high fibre pellet food instead of a mix such as allen and page or science selective ;)

HI. Are you deliberately breeding from her, or were the litters a mistake, or was she pregnant when you got her?

Back