• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i get a garage.....opinions please

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
for the rescue bunnies?

Im sick and tired of worrying about wet hutches
and im sick and tired of getting soaked when i ve 8 hutches to clean in the wind and rain . :?

i ve been thinking and these are my thoughts .

BENEFITS

the hutches would be inside and protected from the rain / snow

wouldnt have to worry about the wind blowing covers off.

i would be warmer and dryer when cleaning/feeding.

because of above i would spend more time with them in bad weather.

the buns would be warmer in winter and cooler in summer .

i could have the big door open all day for ventilation but shut it at night for security.

DRAWBACKS

i would lose some of my garden ....and once its up if i dont like it its tough.

im worried the buns may get bored being in there .

i could have an electric light but would they miss the3 sun ...even in winter theylike to lay in the sunshine if we get good weather .

AND

i would still have my runs so they would get out every day or in bad weather at least every other day.
so theyu would get a change of scenery , sunshine and excersize.

:? :? :?

dont know what to do ...

what do you all think

I would go for it :thumb:

As you know mine are in the shed and it has been a godsend,
especially this week with the weather we have had :roll:

And if you are keeping the runs then they will have the best of both worlds :D

how about having a glass back to the garage so they can still see out. You could let them run about the floor in bad weather in the garage.they could also have roof light to keep sunshine coming in :D

how bout a very large wooden shed with 8 catflaps and the runs on the outside? Build some indoor space for each hut too and leave enough room for bins with hay etc and bobs your uncle a fantastic five star bunny hotel.

After a lot of thought and debate we decided to get a building permit to build a semi attached greenhouse-type conservatory which will be all glass with a glass roof and solar power. It turns out it will not be more expensive than a garage of the same size. Visually, a transparent building doesn't seem to take away from your garden area as much as a solid garage building, and if there are a few double glass doors it can seem really open. Also, I've seen large 'demountable greenhouses' that you can buy that you can take with you when you move, in all different shapes and sizes, and may not need a building permit to put up.

make sure you get good shading. Our south facing lean too hit 100 degree (F) this feb so goodness knows what it will go to during the summer and our north facing glass porch with a covered roof has hit 80 (f) as well.

make sure you get good shading. Our south facing lean too hit 100 degree (F) this feb so goodness knows what it will go to during the summer and our north facing glass porch with a covered roof has hit 80 (f) as well.
Thats very true, with glass you have to take precautions. There are shades that are used in commercial greenhouses, we will have to look into, but it will also be air conditioned from concealed solar power panels on the house. There also is solar glass, not the film-applied type but rather integral.
BF doesn't know it yet but I'm just looking forward to the new greenhouse for growing plants because buns will still be living inside the house ;)

I'd say go for it, Angie. Our garage in the old house was an absolute godsend for the buns. Really miss having one here, Also if you have the hutchs in there, you can let a pair at a time out and sit and play with them, its much better than sitting in the run or whatever, as your not forced upon them. Definately more pro's than cons:) X

I would go for it :D I would love my bunnies to live in a garage and like you said you will spend a lot more time with them in bad weather and if they are still going out in the garden during the day for exercise its not like they will miss it :D

thanks for your suggestions .

im stearing away from large amounts of glass as overheating can be a real problem in summer.

A shed wouldnt be large enough to accomodate all the buns. and i dont have the space or money to have attached runs for them all ...unfortunatly:?

A garage would be cooler in summer than a shed . especialy with the large door left open and all my hutches i already have would fit inside.

A regular garage sounds best then, and like someone else said, skylight windows in the roof would be great. The back garage door opening onto your garden could be a full glass french door, and the large garage door could have a horizontal top row (or 2 rows) of glass at the top instead of being solid.

Have you thought about pricing up something custom built from a carpenter? E.g. you could go for a building with a roof, and three sides with mesh at the front divided into pens - a bit like a mini kennel/cattery block.

Don't forget to talk to the council too, you may need planning permission and building a building specifically for the bunnies could run into 'change of use' issues.

Tam

DONT THINK I WOULD GET PLANNING PERMISSION FOR THAT TAMSIN .
THIS IS ANOTHER ISSUE.
ALSO I THINK MY MOANGY NEIGHBOUR WOULD COMPLAIN .:evil:

WHERE AS A GARAGE ....IS A GARAGE ....NO MATTER WHAT IS INSIDE;) SO I KNOW PLANNING WOULDNT BE A PROBLEM AND THE NEIGHBOURS WOULDNT OBJECT ;)

Have you thought about pricing up something custom built from a carpenter? E.g. you could go for a building with a roof, and three sides with mesh at the front divided into pens - a bit like a mini kennel/cattery block.

Don't forget to talk to the council too, you may need planning permission and building a building specifically for the bunnies could run into 'change of use' issues.

Tam
I thought of this too at first, because the main concern is a roof overhead for the buns and you cleaning them out, as well as not having a building over impede on your garden space, which is perfect having an open back to the structure. This idea seems like the most sensible, altho in the winter there wouldn't be as much warmth as with a closed garage. I would imagine its true where you live that any structure with a roof requires planning permission, so you would need to be careful in what you call your structure either an open carport/ garage, or a screened in porch etc. in this case, definitely do not put down bunny housing on the application. I quess a downfall to this option is that noisy people could see it is bunny housing and cause trouble, but maybe if just the 1 side is open in the back it would be safe in that respect (plus warmer for the winter if enclosed on 3 sides).

Oh didn't see your last post :oops:
Sorry to keep posting here, I tend to post too much to these type of threads... In Dec. I take my exam & if I pass all sections, in Jan or Feb. 2008 I'll be registered & licensed finally as an Architect, thus the overzealousness for solutions. BF is an architect too :oops: :lol:

I'm currently converting a greenhouse to a bunny ranch

I'm levelling the floor, and paving with tiles I got from B&Q (11 for £4)

I'd had the same fear as you, weather wise

I used to keep my bunnies freerange in a double length garage, but there was no light, so I felt bad for them, although I spent more time during winter playing with them, I still felt guilty

With the greenhouse, they will get that much more light and I can play with them in the rain

Am thinking of erecting a second greenhouse for the same purpose

Forunately for me the greenhouse is not in direct sunlight and I will replace the glass door with a wire door for ventilation

i would say go for it

saw kays garage yesterday and it looked great, and the buns and people were lovely and dry even when it was THROWING IT DOWN

I would say go for a garage!
They are large and aswell as having the buns in there you could store other things that dont fit in the house.

In summer you can let the buns run around in the garden so it should be fine.

go for it!!! lily and pip are in the garage and its sheltered in winter and cool in summer. they have access to hutch and run which takes up half garage. my dad uses other half for storage. whenever weather is nice i try to get them out in the garden for fresh air and a change of scenery.

it really makes a difference when cleaning them out, especially in winter!!! saves bags of used bedding flying across the garden :lol:

the only drawback for me is that mice get in.

but it is a godsend!!!

ps i didnt have pip last winter and she was outside all the time :cry: she is so tiny and so glad i will have her this year to spoil her!!!

Back