• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping bunnies cool

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
So how does everyone keep their buns cool in the summer? :D

Last year Trip was in the house and Buu's hutch was shaded all the time. Now she has a big run and only a bit of the hutch is going to be in the shade :( Also Trip and Scarletts hutch and run arent going to be in the shade either. I dont have anywhere shaded to move them and im worried about them being to warm when the weather gets hotter.

:wave: Hi. There are several things you can do. Buy a cheap gazebo and erect it over part of the run, or just partly cover it with a cotton sheet leaving some of the sides to flap in whatever breeze may be available. If it gets really blistering hot then the sheet can be put in cold water , wrung out well and then thrown over. Get some clay pipes(they make great tunnels) from a buliders' merchants(or on building sites???) these can be soaked in a bucket of cold water, or even put in the fridge before putting in the run. There's also the old standby of coke bottles half-filled with water and then frozen..you'll find it it gets really hot the buns will lay against them.

Wow thanks :D They are great ideas! I was going to order some of those willow tunnels but I will get some clay pipes instead :D

mine get the frozen bottles on hot days but as an everyday thing they have a large slab of marble (worktop saver thing about £12 from asda fits my 2 buns :D ) it satys cool and they do like to lay on it during the day :D

i am also hoping to get some reflective fabric to put at the window to try and reflect some heat :D

Back