• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help please....

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
Urgent help please.... u/d 2am!?

:cry: I need some help/advice as I've worked my way into a right state here. Travis is poorly, he's not touched his veg and keeps sitting hunched up in the corner, even when I picked him up, he wasn't struggling. The sparkle in his eye has gone too, so I know he's unwell.

I think it may be tummy related as I caught sound of some gurgling noise earlier, although very briefly, and the way he moves makes it look like tummy discomfort, he also keeps holding his tail up every now and then too as if he's trying to go to the toilet.

He was fine earlier, and bright as a button.

My emergency vets is a vets now clinic over half an hour away. I'm just concerned that the distance may stress him out?

What do you guys think I should do? I've tried tummy rubs, but they kinda stress him out a bit, as he doesn't like being held that much, the same would go for giving infacol, but I don't know if it's bloat, or a blockage or what, that's why I could really do with some advice.

Thanks

Last edited:
If the rabbit go to her regular pee corner, raise her tail, and no urine or poos come out, that sounds like a blockage or some sort.

I would say the stress cause by driving the bunny to the vet is nothing compares to the current stress cause by the sickness inside the bunny. In other words, I would definitely take the bunny to the vet.

You can turn off radio/CD when you drive and keep the bunny warm inside the car by jacking up the heating fan in the car.

I wholeheartedly agreee with HH. Get your bunster to the vet asap. Don't wait till the morning as he's obvioulsy in some sort of crisis, so put him in his carrier and take him to be seen now. Fingers crossed for you.

I think it has to be the emergency vets, to be honest. :( In my many experiences of this happening, you need to get to the vets quite quickly. Good luck!!

Call the vet, you can always just chat for advice over the phone and see what they advise.

Can you tell whether he's done any poops?

Take his partner with you and his normal bedding, that will help minimise the stress.

Tam

I agree, vets are needed asap - the vet may advise over the phone but I would think that he would need to see Travis.

Sounds as though Travis may have gas as well as cystitis or a water infection therefore straining to wee.

Honest, it's better to be safe than sorry. We always say "If in doubt, get the vet out"

Big vibes being sent to Travis - xxxx

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have to travel over to where the emergency vets now clinic is everyday for work, but I swear that journey has never felt so long! She had a listen to his belly, and agreed he was v gassy, but there was some movement, so prob early stages of GI Stasis.

Treacle was not v amused at being dragged out in the middle of the night with him that's for sure!

He's had 2 lots of pain relief, some gut stimulant, and she's started him on a course of Baytril just to be on the safe side :?

She seemed to be quite bunny savvy actually, which was nice as it allayed my worst fears about going to an emergency vets.

The consultation fee was £120 :shock: before meds, but if he's not improved by the morning, I can take him back for another look for free. She offered to keep them in overnight, but I thought he'd be better off at home especially as it's not the usual vets surgery, so would be totally strange.

She didn't check his teeth as I said that although he has problems with his molars, his eating slows down when they get too long rather than just stops, and he usually still runs around and is his usual self.

They're both a little stressed still right now as it was over an hour round trip, so I'll keep checking him and hope he's perked up a bit by the morning.

Usually if it's Treacle, I have the Infacol, tummy rubs and critical care to hand without fail, but she also still nibbles at a few herbs and things, whereas Travis doesn't suffer from "hairballs" as often as Tre, so I was worried as to exactly what it was, especially as although his tummy was swollen a little, it didn't feel hard like Tre's does when she gets poorly. They're all so different!

Anyway, I think it's bedtime for us all now, more than enough adventures for one night!

Thank you again to everyone for your help. :D

if there is hairball problem, buy "Papaya and pineapple enzyme chew", all the rabbit that I know, loves the tablet. Once a week is good, if he licks her partner too much, 2 - 3 times per week.

For future check up, you don't really need to bring the other rabbit to keep Treacle company. It could stress the other rabbit.

I hope Treacle is feeling better this morning.
As Jay said, the symptoms you described do sound like Cystitis so if he is still poorly today I'd take him back to the Vets as he may need more treatment.
I would specifically ask Vet to check Treacles bladder for tenderness/sludge/stones and also to test a sample of his wee. The gut problems (reduced motility/gas) MIGHT be secondary to the discomfort caused by cystitis.
Please keep us posted

Janex

Hi. I hope Travis has improved, and that you can feel you can relax a bit. It's awful when our buns are poorly..but you've done everything you can to help him, so fingers crossed.:)

:wave:

He's eaten some grass, blackberry leaves (which should help his tummy) and a little carrot this morning, he's just nibbling and picking at a few bits. He seems a little more comfortable this morning. Last night he kept trying to lay and sit with his tummy pressed right against the floor, so was obviously in a little discomfort.

Most importantly, his eyes are beginning to light up again, and his ears have resumed their normal helicopter position. (last night they were both pricked right up, which he only does usually when he's scared about something).

I shall be taking him to my normal vets this week anyway to have him checked over fully. In the meantime, he's under my watchful eye, and I'll continue him on his baytril just to be on the safe side.

if there is hairball problem, buy "Papaya and pineapple enzyme chew", all the rabbit that I know, loves the tablet. Once a week is good, if he licks her partner too much, 2 - 3 times per week.

For future check up, you don't really need to bring the other rabbit to keep Treacle company. It could stress the other rabbit.

They already have an oxbow pineapple and papaya tablet each, each morning.

I always take them to the vets together. Even when Travis has his GA's for his dentals, Tre still goes with him, she grooms him until he comes around, and I believe that rabbits bonded partners aid recovery with rabbits. Both Travis and Treacle would have been more stressed out last night if they were separated. Travis would have been scared of the longest car journey he's ever done, the strange vets and surroundings as well as feeling unwell anyway, and Treacle would have been pining for Travis if she was left at home alone.

:wave: Hi Kerri. It's obvious from all your posts that your bunsters have a very knowledgable and caring bunny-mummy!!:D

They already have an oxbow pineapple and papaya tablet each, each morning.

I always take them to the vets together. Even when Travis has his GA's for his dentals, Tre still goes with him, she grooms him until he comes around, and I believe that rabbits bonded partners aid recovery with rabbits. Both Travis and Treacle would have been more stressed out last night if they were separated. Travis would have been scared of the longest car journey he's ever done, the strange vets and surroundings as well as feeling unwell anyway, and Treacle would have been pining for Travis if she was left at home alone.

Hope Travis is doing ok today. I totally agree I would never seperate my buns to take them to the vets, They get stressed out if they are away from each other for more than a few minutes. I think most people on here would agree :D

Hope Travis is feeling better. Sending bunny healing vibes. You sound like a very good caring bunny mummy. BTW I agree about taking bonded rabbits together to the vets - they help eachother.

glad he's feeling better this morning. Both Salt and Pepper have had little episodes recently, and I suspect furballs, as there has been some hairy poo. They've been getting the oxbow tablets, and seem to be fine now.

Back