• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating newspapers?

podlet

Warren Scout
Hi all,:wave:

Poppy cannot eat hay, but manages to eat spring greens and other fresh fibres. There is a plentiful supply of hay available that Zoot munches on throughout the day... but today (as she seems to be feeling better after an e.cuniculi infection) she hopped on to the couch and is merrily munching my newspaper...

I don't know if I should be stopping her, if its bad for her guts, or if the shredding is good for her teeth...

Help! Anyone know how much newspaper a bun can eat?:?

Ingesting a bit of newspaper now and again is not going to harm her but its not a good idea for her to always be eating it.
Has she never been a good hay eater? Hay is important as it helps wear the Buns teeth down. Eating a lot of paper can be indicative of the Bun craving fibre as their caecum is feeling sluggish/ full. So I would do all you can to try to encourage her to eat hay. There are lots of varieties available. There are also forage feeds like Readigrass. And of course grazing on pasture is excellent for a Buns teeth.

Janex :D

I definitely think it is the fibre that Poppy is craving...
Saw sweet Poppet trying to eat a single stalk of hay, and she must have been at it for close on 7 mins... the same piece.... trying again... and again... and again... One very sad looking saw that has been shredding into gummy long fibres... but she just can't seem to eat it :(

She has never been a hay eater in all the time we have had her unfortunately... Tried to get her and Binks to eat hay... followed all the advice on the forum, but had to give up when they were losing weight and had runny poos.... We were spraying all varieties of hay with water, pineapple juice, microwaves it for a split second to absorb moisture...

It was all rather futile... :?

Must see if I can still find that thread...

Saw sweet Poppet trying to eat a single stalk of hay, and she must have been at it for close on 7 mins... the same piece.... trying again... and again... and again... One very sad looking saw that has been shredding into gummy long fibres... but she just can't seem to eat it :(

She has never been a hay eater in all the time we have had her unfortunately... Tried to get her and Binks to eat hay... followed all the advice on the forum, but had to give up when they were losing weight and had runny poos.... We were spraying all varieties of hay with water, pineapple juice, microwaves it for a split second to absorb moisture...

I had a little chat w/ my vet years ago on this. She said it's best if they need to chew paper, that the paper be Un-Treated paper, such as brown lunch bag paper. Newspaper has ink on it, which is a chemical, and in long run, these chemical can cause cancer

Back