• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stress/upset induced not eating?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Last night Audrey was jumping out of her pen again- only the second occassion she's ever done this so I locked her in her crate and went to bed.

This morning I was up early and she was lying down kind of moving like she was shaking and refused any food :(

I gave her some infacol and tummy rubs and then a short while later she still wasn't eating so i booked a vets appointment for tonight.

Just before I left she started having a munch on dandelion leaves and pellets. she'd also pooed. I'm going to go back home at lunchtime and if she seems ok I'll cancel the vets appointment.

I'm wondering if she is upset/stressed at being shut in the crate rather than stasis? Thats the first time I've shut her in in about 6 months.

Could it be gas?

One of mine used to suffer from bouts of gas, and would go off his food for a short time during attacks.

Symptoms (for him) were lying down with his belly pressed against the floor, and looking restless and turning in circles trying to get into a more comfy position?

I wouldn't think that being shut in her own cage would be particularly stressful for Audrey or make her go off her food.

The 'shaking' could have been very quiet teeth grinding...I've certainly seen that before in rabbits.

Don't want to worry you unnecessarily...it could be nothing...but I usually find that a change in behaviour is often down to underlying factors like illness.

Fingers crossed that its nothing .

I used to treat with Infacol, but I'm not sure that it particularly helped. You need to give a much higher dose than stated on the bottle, which isn't easy if your bun doens't want to take it.

I thinks its probably best to play safe and avoid feeding 'gassy' foods like broccoli, cabbage, kale and spring greens. For some reason certain herbs (esp. coriander) used to set my boy off with an attack.

Sorry Mandy, only just seen this
Had Audrey poo'd as normal overnight? If not I wonder if you could get her to the Vet during your lunchbreak :?
Stress can cause a Bun to stop eating as stress triggers as physiological response that slows the guts down. But she may have tummy pain
I hope that she is OK

Janex

Aaghh I typed a reply and then it went missing cos of forum probs!

Thanks Jane, she hadn't pooed when i first got up, but definetly had before I left cos the tray was clean before.

Am going to see how she is shortly- have roped my workmate into taking me home!

Just been home and found her escaped again and under my bed!

She hadn't eaten the food cos she was out but when i put her back she starting eating straight away so i think I'll cancel the appointment.

thanks guys x

be careful tho as this type of stresed behaviour can go on for ages then suddenly gistasis when you think theyre fineand doing dandy...
por bifs now got a yo yo gut because of it...

good luck cheeky bunnykins..mm under my bed is a wonderful place for our buns toowhentheyre upsatirs butim guessing willlow willbe the only one to come and go as she peases tills he reaches ful size!

dont bunnioes have wonderful stressed out tantrums rather like a toddler!?:lol:

Back