• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tilly not good news

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Well i say not good there is some, her kidney function is 100% normal, infact it's excellent. However her Liver function is not normal and she has too high calcuim levels, but neither her live or the calcuim is serious but it isn't right. I've spoken to Gareth today as Hazel and Morag are now away until Monday, and the only things he can think of are a Liver tumour (which Grace dided from in March) or cushings disease. I've to take Tills back to see Hazel on Monday and we will go from there :(

sorry to hear that tills isnt feeling well :(

fingers crossed taht something can be done and she is feeling better soon x

Thanks guys, im hoping Hazel can do some more investigation without having to open tilly up but i don't think that will be possible.

Oh no - I hope she's ok:(

thanks Angie, me too, as far as i can ascertain, cushings is treatable, obv a tumour wont be, but there is no garentee that this is whats wrong with tills yet, it's a guess by a non buny vet. I have to take tills to see Hazel on mondya and we go from there.

Awwwww Phill what a worry for you :cry:

I guess a specific diagnosis would mean needing to know what Liver Enzymes are abnormal and in what way (ie too high/too low). They all mean different things. If the blood calcium was significantly raised that can indicate a cancer, but it is not such an obvious finding as it would be in cats or dogs.
I THINK the most common form of tumour that might give a high blood calcium and abnormal Liver function is a Thymoma (Tumour on the Thymus, a lymphoid organ that lies just under the breastbone
Cushing's syndrome is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure of the body's tissues to high levels of the hormone cortisol. Longterm use of some STEROIDS can cause Cushings.............:?

I hope Hazel can get to the bottom of Tilly's problems.
Sending gentle nose-rubs to Tills

Janex

Thanks Guys, and thanks Jane, her liver enzymes were too high do we know what that means??

It depends on EXACTLY which of the enzymes, there are several. GGT (Gamma Glutamyl Transferase) is the enzyme most specific to Liver function so is a useful indicator of Liver Disease.

Janex

It depends on EXACTLY which of the enzymes, there are several. GGT (Gamma Glutamyl Transferase) is the enzyme most specific to Liver function so is a useful indicator of Liver Disease.

Janex

ok i will check with Hazel on Monday which enzymes it was. It's all very complicated!

That's very similar to my last bunny, Little Happy. He passed away of liver cancer. There are 4 of those Enzymes level, at least 1 of them is way off, too high.

His symptoms are: not drinking water, (I use sub-Q injection daily), dry fur (not enough water level on the fur), hazy, light color on urine color all the time

If you do a blood test, it can easily tell the enzymes level.

The small comfort is, Little Happy break down in just 1 day, and passed away the next day, so he didn't really suffer, but that day really breaks my heart, it's unforgetable.

Keep us posted and God bless Tilly

Last edited:
ok i will check with Hazel on Monday which enzymes it was. It's all very complicated!

I would also ask Hazel if the LFT results MIGHT have been effected by the fact that Tilly has been on anabolic steroids :? One of the known s/e of anabolic steroids is abnormal LFT results :?

Janex

I would also ask Hazel if the LFT results MIGHT have been effected by the fact that Tilly has been on anabolic steroids :? One of the known s/e of anabolic steroids is abnormal LFT results :?

Janex

Thanks Jane, Tills hasn't had her steroids for 6 weeks would it still effect her LFT levels?

Thanks Jane, Tills hasn't had her steroids for 6 weeks would it still effect her LFT levels?

I am not too sure as I believe the s/e are likely to depend on duration of treatment aswell:? The steroids are excreted in the urine (I THINK!!). I know some are 'long-acting' so would remain in the system over a period of time. But as to the actual excretion rate..........?????????? :? :?
I know Liver Tissue can regenerate. But if it were to be a Liver Tumour then only surgery would remove it.
I am only able to make an unqualified guess based on the very small amount of knowledge I have relating to anabolic steroids and abnormal LFTs.
I am sure Hazel will be able to explain things on Monday. I wont say 'dont worry' as I know its impossible not to.
Please let us know what Hazel says

Janex

Thanks Jane your a star, i understand it all a little better now. I do really hope that it's something we can sort for Tilly, Grace had a liver tumour and the start of a tumour in her stomach after we did a pm on her, and we think Grace may have had the tumour for a while but showed noe symptoms until Will died. I just hope that we can find out whats wrong with Tilly.

Back