• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Bob is dying...He's gone

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
I posted another thread but cannot change the title for more help

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91787

I explained how Bob has ECuniculi but is deteriorating, he has has a steroid injection and is on a course of 1.5ml baytril daily, he is very lethargic now and although his back end will support him he finds it difficult to hop, although he does a kind of a very wobbly / stumbling / walk / hop

I am so very worried about him and want to make sure he is not in pain or distress, so am giving him Metacam every day. He is eating well and everything else seems OK, is there anything I can do to help him??:cry: :cry:

Last edited:
Theo it sounds asthough you are doing everything you can and he is being kept nice and warm. Sending lots of healing vibes to Bob and hugs to you xx

Hi Theo

Bob's hind limb weakness sounds similar to my bun Sh*tty...although Sh*tty's weakness came on gradually over months and is due to arthritis (we think).

Sh*tty does the weird stumbling hop too, and often falls over. Like Bob, she doesn't move around much, unless we tempt her with food.

IMO as long as Bob is eating well, and isn't teeth grinding or showing other signs of pain, I would keep going.

He'll need plenty of TLC...warmth, soft bedding (profleece/vetbed), a low litter tray (if he's still able to use one), easy access to food and water, and of course medication.

Is he a housebun? cos he'll get waaaayyy too cold outside even in the summer.

Chin up :D

Amy

Is Bob well hydrated Theo? You can assess this by gently pulling up the skin along his spine. When you release it it should spring straight back down. If it goes down very slowly (known as 'tenting') that indicates that Bob is dehydrated. This could be a result of his kidneys not working too well now and would account for his lethargy. He may need supportive subcutaneous fluids to help him feel more comfortable.
Keeping Bob warm and comfortable with his favorite foods readily available will really help. I know you are already doing that. As he likes fuss then lots of nose rubs and general affection from his two-foots will be very comforting for him.

Please keep us updated.

Janex

Bob is being kept in the house, in my kitchen so as we can watch him 24/7 and he has hay and vet bed for bedding in a tris on the kitchen table so he is not in any draughts. We get him out each day and he lays in the hall, he has lots of towels down, he has never been litter trained because he was an outside bun until he came into the rescue.

We are feeding him his favourite foods and he has plenty of oxbow hay which he loves, we are giving him lots of attention and love and care but I feel so useless, utterly hopeless and useless, I just want to make him better and I can't.

He just lays on the floor and doesn't move much but seems quite bright when we give him titbits, there is no teeth grinding and he appears to be very relaxed.

Anything else I can do please?

You are doing all you can and Bob will be thanking you for that:D
While he is still eating and bright eyed then you know he is not suffering and is content in his own way:D
If his little back feet get cold then pop some baby socks on him - that's what we do here:D
Loads of vibes being sent to Bob - gorgeous little man:love:

I just feel so utterley useless.

He is not wet or mucky around his rear end and so assume he is able to wee and poo OK, he is still eating fine and I took a picture of him this afternoon

Bob17-1.jpg

He doesn't appear to be distressed or in pain, there is still no teeth grinding.

Is there anything else I should watch for or I can do for him please?

Sounds like you're doing fine as you are :D

Watch out for sore hocks if he likes to sit on your carpet alot.

Vibes to Bob, he looks lovely :love:

He does not look at all distressed in the pic Theo.
He is obviously keeping himself clean and is eating :)
You may not get him better and he may be on very borrowed time. But from what you have told me about him and how he behaves I really dont think he is 'suffering'. He is a tired frail old man who just wants lots of TLC which you are giving :)
I know you will be vigilant re checking he is not wet and at risk of urine scald. Have a look in his ears too. Bunnies with weak hind legs often get gunky ears. I also bathe the eyes of my frail oldie buns. It freshens them up and if they dont have a bunny friend to help them clean their eyes we need to do it

Bob is a lovely old chap :love:

Janex

I agree with Jane. Theo he looks comfortable and is eating, weeing and pooping himself. He doesnt look in distress or pain. You are doing all you can. Sending vibes for Bob and hugs to you xx

I agree with Jane. Theo he looks comfortable and is eating, weeing and pooping himself. He doesnt look in distress or pain. You are doing all you can. Sending vibes for Bob and hugs to you xx

Same here.
You really are doing all you can for him Theo.

Here`s sending big hugs to you both,
Su.x

Thanks for the support everyone, it is very much appreciated.

It's just that I feel so useless, all I can do is sit and watch and I really want to make him better.

I am trying to keep him as comfortable as I possibly can and give him lots of love and care

Thanks again everyone

Back