• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet bottom

Rabbers

Mama Doe
I've just let my rabbits out for their morning run and checked their bottoms. Rolo has a soaked bottom, tail and back legs like she has been sitting in wet grass, but obviously hasn't as she was in her hutch over night.
I am cleaning her up now and will be taking her to the vets today, but just needed some advice as to what i might expect it to be.
She did have a urinary tract infection about two months ago which she had antibiotics for. Could it be this again, but if so why is it coming back? Her fur is a little less shiny than normal, but to be honest she has been the difficult one of the two, with lethargic behaviour and dull coat at times needing vet attention. She's always been a bit thinner than the other too - i can feel her back bone. Why can't she just be healthy!?

I've just let my rabbits out for their morning run and checked their bottoms. Rolo has a soaked bottom, tail and back legs like she has been sitting in wet grass, but obviously hasn't as she was in her hutch over night.
I am cleaning her up now and will be taking her to the vets today, but just needed some advice as to what i might expect it to be.
She did have a urinary tract infection about two months ago which she had antibiotics for. Could it be this again, but if so why is it coming back? Her fur is a little less shiny than normal, but to be honest she has been the difficult one of the two, with lethargic behaviour and dull coat at times needing vet attention. She's always been a bit thinner than the other too - i can feel her back bone. Why can't she just be healthy!?

She may have a recurrence of the UTI. I would ask the Vet if it could be due to bladder sludge/stones. This occurs when calcium deposits build up in the bladder causing a thick sludge which can irritate the bladder causing infection and inflammation. Left untreated the sludge can progress to actual stones which can also effect the Kidneys
Another cause of Urinary Incontinence is the neurological effects of EC. So its not the bladder that is effected but the innervation of it as the EC spores have effected the Central Nervous System
Good luck at the Vets and please let us know how you get on

Janex

Thanks jane!

I am always panicking about the kidneys - my old cat and hamster died of kidney failure.
I have cleaned her up best i could and she's booked in in half an hour.
So i better go and get her ready.
I'll report back when we return. Wish us luck!

Right, we have antibiotics again for Rolo for her infection. Vet also said that, we give this a try, and if all is well, bring her back in a month to have another weigh in. If she has lost weight (since last time she has lost 100g and she is already thin) then we might consider blood tests. Blood tests would also be the next step if she doesn't improve.

We also discussed a low calcium diet and how this might help. So I am going to make a list of low calcium veg and go shopping in a min.
ALso is it worth switching pellets? we have SS now, but i would be prepared to hunt down Bunny Basics T or Proper Food for Pets as they are lower in calcium aren't they? Is A and P lower in calcium? as i can get this too.

Back