• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Shows

Blacktiger

New Kit
i need some advice do you think it is fair to put my 2 rabbits (their brother and sister) into a rabbit show. im guessing they will get split up and they are inseperable. Do you think i should or not?
(sorry if this is or sounds like a stupid question but i need another point of view)

hi

Thanks, yer im still trying to find my way around this site :D. They are 2 and a half years old and they are neutured.

Ok, was just wondering if you were thinking of professional showing or a pet show.

I personally wouldn't put my rabbit in a show because i think they are unfair and cruel to be honest- it must be really stressful for them...its for our benefit not theirs...and yes if your two had to be split up it may break their bond :?

Hello and welcome!
I wouldn't put my bunnies in a show, as they'd be very stressed.
However, if you want to show your bunnies off :wink: we'd love to see pics, and bunnymadlisa needs pics for her magazine 'Bunny Mad', as do the RWA with their mag. :D

Yer i was just looking at what the shows are about and it does seem a bit unfair i dont think my rabbits would know what was going on. They get absolutly terrified just going to the vets.
Thanks for your advice.

Neutered rabbits can be shown in Pet Classes, they are purely judged on how clean, healthy, happy to be handled and friendly the are.

Personally I wouldn't show bonded rabbits, as they would have to be seperated for the show.

Why not pop along to your local show though, they are great days out and you get to meet up with lots of like minded rabbit mad people :)

Some rabbits do stress at being shown, I had one buck that hated it, he would drop all the weight of his spine and make his eye run. Within half an hour of being home he'd be right as rain, so I stopped showing him and he now stays at home where hes much happier.

On the other side I have other rabbits that adore being shown, they love all the fuss and attention they get and all the exciting smells and people to see :)

And you get some rabbits that are completely indifferent to the whole thing and aren't worried either way. Every rabbit is an individual and should be treated as such.

WalnutEarth626 said:
Personally I wouldn't show bonded rabbits, as they would have to be seperated for the show.

When I was showing some of my guys (RIP :( Minty) they always kept bond partners together

I am probably very much in the minority in as much as I have been to shows in the past and since I've registered on here and having been and seen them first hand feel I can comment.
I went to the Bradford Show in January and apart from one isolated rabbit that was very stressed by it's environment (the video was shown on here) I didn't see any rabbit displaying signs of distress. All the various breeds had their own stands and enthusiastic people manning them giving information on their chosen breeds. There were also many stalls selling books, clothing, paraphernalia, feed etc. The RWA had a stall there too as did the BRC.
Personally I found it all very interesting, I got to see a Blue Giant Papillon (gorgeous) and plenty of other rabbits I'd have loved to have taken home. There were 2000 rabbits there.
Last month I went to a small local 2 star show with about 200 rabbits, maybe 50 of those were Beveren. Again there were very helpful people there, a good atmosphere generally and lots of relaxed rabbits. I didn't see one rabbit that showed signs of distress and as WalnutEarth said the breeders/showers know which of their rabbits are happy to be shown and which aren't.
One thing I don't agree with and don't agree strongly is showing rabbits in June, July, August etc because it is too hot then to be transporting rabbits all over the country and then having them in marquees or halls for the day. Ok, that's my thoughts on Rabbit Shows, anyone want to flog me? :D

Neil

ps Can i just clarify these are my views and not necessarily the views of Maria.

Neil-and-Maria said:
I am probably very much in the minority in as much as I have been to shows in the past and since I've registered on here and having been and seen them first hand feel I can comment.
I went to the Bradford Show in January and apart from one isolated rabbit that was very stressed by it's environment (the video was shown on here) I didn't see any rabbit displaying signs of distress. All the various breeds had their own stands and enthusiastic people manning them giving information on their chosen breeds. There were also many stalls selling books, clothing, paraphernalia, feed etc. The RWA had a stall there too as did the BRC.
Personally I found it all very interesting, I got to see a Blue Giant Papillon (gorgeous) and plenty of other rabbits I'd have loved to have taken home. There were 2000 rabbits there.
Last month I went to a small local 2 star show with about 200 rabbits, maybe 50 of those were Beveren. Again there were very helpful people there, a good atmosphere generally and lots of relaxed rabbits. I didn't see one rabbit that showed signs of distress and as WalnutEarth said the breeders/showers know which of their rabbits are happy to be shown and which aren't.
One thing I don't agree with and don't agree strongly is showing rabbits in June, July, August etc because it is too hot then to be transporting rabbits all over the country and then having them in marquees or halls for the day. Ok, that's my thoughts on Rabbit Shows, anyone want to flog me? :D Neil

ps Can i just clarify these are my views and not necessarily the views of Maria.

Naughty, naughty boy! Go and stand in the corner!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Gem said:
WalnutEarth626 said:

When I was showing some of my guys (RIP :( Minty) they always kept bond partners together

Ah I stand corrected then, I've just never seen bonded rabbits shown anywhere.

the category for pet rabits exists at rabbit shows then? sorry i wasnt clear on that..
jo told me that shes seen or heard of someterrible things that go on to sabotage a buny that might beat your bunny..including chewing gum in an angoras fur..food dye.clippers alsorts..its not a nice scene sometimes she said..i was horrified!
I am so impressed with berties beautiful nature that has developed since we got him in sept 2006..hes so friendly now and very affectionate..and loves people stroking him...i think hed makea good pet therapy bun to visit residnetal homes and hospices etc..
our old tomcat ( neutered btw) was a real softie..everybodys mate..kids live teddy bear/pet dog substitute/best friend/sibling..he was one of akind..and alady approached me to ask if he could do this as his nature was so loving..we moved house and let him settle in and i asked if i could think on it as they did say cats caused more allergic reactions than dogs..i agreed and then nugy was diagnosed withheart failure and lived another 8 months..hed have made so many folks happy..but he did anyway..bless him.

berties the same..but he wouldnt want to go without bif..hed worry she was scared somewhere and i wouldnt dream of seprating them..and i couldnt let her get stressed at all..

willows turning out to be a mad march frenchie!1 if shes still as affectionate and nosey after shes finished growing then id say she could be frenchies are solaid back..

nikki is a magnet to bunnies..not cos she has some magical wayw ith them..but because shes got M.E so bad she gives off the prey animal vibe trying to hide pain and illnes we reckon..and its why buns take to her so readily..she says buny is a person with M.E s perfect companuion..not lking bright sunlight..loud noises..strong smells..having to rest after each little burst of energy..sensitive to a lot of foodstuffs..etc!!

apparently they same the same efefct is felt on buns by people inhospital..hospices and the elderly..

the category for pet rabits exists at rabbit shows then? sorry i wasnt clear on that..
jo told me that shes seen or heard of someterrible things that go on to sabotage a buny that might beat your bunny..including chewing gum in an angoras fur..food dye.clippers alsorts..its not a nice scene sometimes she said..i was horrified!

Yes most shows have pet classes, its how most of us started in the fancy, showing a much loved rabbit in the pets ad getting hooked! I know thats how I started.

Yes unfortunately these sort of things do go on, unfortunately competition can bring out the worst in people. However the BRC has an investigations Committee, and anyone seen doing these things can be reported to the IC and be kicked out the BRC and banned from attending a rabbit show again. Please don't think these are acceptable practices, they're not!

One thing I don't agree with and don't agree strongly is showing rabbits in June, July, August etc because it is too hot then to be transporting rabbits all over the country and then having them in marquees or halls for the day. Ok, that's my thoughts on Rabbit Shows, anyone want to flog me? :D

Neil

I went to bradford too and I really enjoyed it. :)

Thanks Deelove,

Keep in touch if you're planning on going again next year, maybe we can work out a car-share as we live in Blackpool.

Neil

Back