• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

arrgh now ava has snuffles!

willowflower

Warren Scout
well as i posted previously i couldn't get ava spayed until she put on some weight so after much persevering and a lot of different foods later i got her to put on a kg so great books her in to be spayed and when the vet was checking her over he found out she has a rattle in her chest. should i have noticed this? i mean she's eating and everything but any way means she still can't be spayed as it would be an added risk under anaesthetic so she's on some anti biotics and hopefully then i can get her spayed.
really need to get the op done as she's a right terror (also because of the cancer thing as well)
it just seems she's doomed to remain in tact :lol: as all my foster buns have been done no problem it's just her

she's doing fine like i said i couldn't hear a thing didn't even know she was snuffly but i do trust my vet she goes back in a week after the anti biotics and if she's clear will be getting spayed oh joy she's becoming a right madam :roll:

Aaawww bless her, I do hope she gets better soon so she can have her op. If the sound is just in her chest and she's not wheezing or got a snotty nose then I doubt you would have noticed the rattle. In the mean time good luck with your little madam!! :rolleyes:

thanks i thought i had done something wrong and i should have noticed but dillion suffered snuffles a few months back is it contagious? the op isn't coming soon enough she's destroying everything and keeps pestering dillion for well you know had to keep them seperate now as he's a rather large bun and she's tiny and he gets quite agressive with her i have might just have to find her another husbun :D after her op

thanks i thought i had done something wrong and i should have noticed but dillion suffered snuffles a few months back is it contagious? the op isn't coming soon enough she's destroying everything and keeps pestering dillion for well you know had to keep them seperate now as he's a rather large bun and she's tiny and he gets quite agressive with her i have might just have to find her another husbun :D after her op

Snuffles is extremely contagious, there is no cure, antibiotics can mask the symptons but affected rabbits will ALWAYS be a carrier and can infect any other rabbits they come into contact with at any time in the future. In some cases it just causes mild respitory infections, in other cases I have known in wipe out entire studs.

Some useful pages:
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#bacteria

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171317.htm

thanks for the links should i be worried? what do i look for?
seriously worried now did not like the sound of half of that how will it effect them for life they don't have most of the symptoms just a snotty nose and sneezing

Last edited:
There are about 21 different strains of pasturella so it's hard to say what the affects will be. Rabbits carry the bacteria but only some show the symptoms. It is possible she caught it from Dillon but also possible she has been carrying another strain. Snuffles sometimes shows its~self when the rabbit gets stressed so if she had just moved or something it may have sparked it off. Although snuffles is very contagious like I said not all rabbits necessarily suffer from it. I had Bilbo who had very bad snuffles but she lived with her hubby and two daughters and none of them showed symptoms. I just had to treat her when she showed the symptoms but she had been left untreated for years and was in a bad way with it.

Last edited:
thanks for putting my mind at rest i have recently seperated her from dillion as he was becomming pretty agressive towards her she wants to be fussed over all the tim and dillion is more laid back and likes to be on his own could the seperation have caused the flair up?

Back