• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bob...U/D..Tues..7pm

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
Bob is the beautiful 7 year old I took in on 12th April, we had him castrated on 20th April and he was OK, then on the 24th April I noticed he had slight head tilt and was 'wobbly', so took him straight back to the vet where he stayed for 3 days and they confirmed what I had aleady thought that it was possibly E Cuniculi.

Bob1.jpg

Treatment was started immediatley, panacur and metacam every day, and he has been doing OK, he had lost weight and has started to put it back on, yesterday was his 19th day of treatment.

This morning when I went to him, he was rather mucky around his rear end and had laid in it, so my husband and I got him out and cleaned him up, put him on the floor and he collapsed on to his side,he tried to stand up and his back end has gone and he appears to have very little use of his legs.

If I touch his legs he moves them away, and he is moving about, just a couple of feet but he is dragging his rear end and his legs are not able to support him to walk or hop, but they will support him to stand although very wobbly.

I am taking him to the vet at 4pm and so I hope she will be able to help him.

Does anyone have any ideas or help please?

I cant add more than what I said on the phone Theo. I really hope Bob will regain some use of his hind legs. There are so many possible causes for hind leg paresis aswell as EC. As I said earlier, spinal injury as a result of osteoporosis, spinal abscesses,spinal tumours......etc
It may be that the EC is still causing severe inflammation and so perhaps your Vet will try a shot of steroids.

Sending lots of vibes for Bob-the-Bunny

Janex

Tree said try banana's tomatoes and vitamin E as it sounds like a potassium deficieny. And floppy rabbit symptom is not just linked to baby bunnies.

Im messenger :lol:

Vibes to Bob

I agree with Jane...a course of steroids might help if there is inflamation of the joints. Your vets shoudl be able to 'feel' for arthritis or joint stiffness.

Other than that, same as what others have said...brain/nerve damage caused by injury, EC, stroke, etc.

Amy

Thanks for all your support and suggestions.

Just back from the vet and she says it is definatley not a spinal injury or spinal damage as such and not floppy bunny, she thinks it's the ECuniculi as he has head tilt as well, she has given him an antibiotics injection and a steroid injection and says that the next 24 hours are crucial to see if there is any improvement, if not, then it all becaomes a question of quality of life :cry:

I really hope this is going to work and will keep you all updated.

Thanks for your support guys, it is so upsetting to watch him, I just hope he gets better

Bob...U/D..Wed..9am

He is still very wobbly this morning, although he is eating well, I am not sur what to make of it all, will he get better?

Last edited:
Back