• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
I went to my vets for free during National Rabbit Week in January and was given some free worming treatment for my rabbits. One thing the vet said was to move their vaccinations earlier. They are vaccinated in August but she said move them to June/July this year and then to May next year and continue with May beyond that. She gave me the worming stuff and said to give them it around their vaccinations, but said something about May being the time when the insects lay eggs in the grass and thats how they get the worms, or something??

So if I am to get my rabbits vaccinated in the third week of June, shall I worm them before or after or around this time? I've never wormed them before and hadn't been told it was necessary so I don't know much about it :lol:

I'm not sure about when to give it..., but when my 2 went in for their neuter it was recomended to me i have them wormed i didnt know it was nesseray ither. :? maybe its just aswell to get it done.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that you don't worm rabbits to get rid of worms as such, it is more to prevent/treat E.C.?

Rabbits, like most animals, have thier own worms that don't cause them problems but E.C. is an awful disease and that's why people use panacur (a wormer).

I don't worm my rabbits but that is because I'm still undecided on the pros/cons of using panacur or that new stuff Lapizole. I'm tempted by the Verm-X stuff but I think I'll need to see a couple of recommendations before I use it with my lot.

I don't know, bunnies are so complicated.

It is panacur, this stuff I have.

I did drill the vet about it at the time because I've never wormed my rabbits and was never asked at the vets but she said as she gave it to me free anyway then I may as well use it as it can't hurt.

I remember something about E.C, something else I'd never heard of, but the vet mentioned it at the time.

i got some when snow was spayed last week its just a to be on the safe side plus im getting snow a husbun soon

Rabbits DO get worms but its rare and EC, which is a parasite which affects the brain and renal system is much more common (over 50% of rabbits show evidence of having come into contact with it).

All though EC does not affect all rabbit who carry it those that do succumb to it face a nasty and debilitating battle to survive. I spoke to a lady who lost her rabbit to EC last night and it was not a nice story....by the PTS stage the bunny was collapsing in its litter tray and was soaked in its own urine.

I strongly advice as does my vet that all rabbits be wormed once yearly, more if they regularly come into contact with other rabbits e.g. go to a boarding house or you get a new rabbit.

The only reason the time of year is relevant is if your aim is to prevent internal worms....Panacur does not protect against flies etc, your rabbit needs rearguard around march/ april for that.

If you bunny is difficult to give the syringe to - DArcy is a terror for things like this - Denny gave me a great trick. Squirt the Panacur paste into his food bowl then put the pellets on top making sure they all get covered in the paste. Darcy still wolfs them up!

Back