• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergency Vets What Do You Pay?

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

Our vets charge for a dog around £60 up to 11pm and after that around £90 up till 8am just to see them! :shock: :shock: Would be slightly less for cat/rabbit etc.

Unfortunately our vets don't do call out to where I live as I live over 15 miles away from them. You can see why people wait to get a daytime appointment with charges like that. :?

Louise

I was charged £140 for Audrey one sunday morning :shock: :x They did later refund £25 as they said that accidentally charged me the higher rate- but that is still about £85 call out 'off peak emergency' just to be seen.

I wasn't happy with the treatment either- the emergency surgery is run as 'vets Now' so you don't see your usual vet and the locum vet admitted she doesn't often see rabbits. I've got to be honest and say I would really think carefully about taking her in again as an emergency.

Edit: I forgot to add in that the only other time I've been to the emergency vet was with Bob and the cost was about £100 if I remember rightly.

I am not charged.
I am VERY lucky

I know of a large group of practices around here that can charge £100 for an out of hours consult. Thats without any meds.

Janex

Barley was £70 after 11pm with her eye. I was happy with treatment though - although it was clear the vet didn't think it was as emergency-y as I did

Callout within hours is £50.

Im very lucky i don't get charged anything barthe normal consultation fee and thats £8, and thats only if the vets either have to come out or i have to meet them at the surgery after closing

Never used an emergency vets.... sounds VERY pricey :shock: My vets charges £19 just for a consultation thats not even a callout :shock:

my vets charge £100 for cats (i thought it was the same fore all) but when i called out the vet for Honey the other night i was charged £75 still pricey though :shock: and that was without meds etc. :shock:

Same as Mandy (same Vets Now clinic for the whole of Nottingham).

I wasn't happy with the treatment either...they sent my rabbit home whilst still under the influence of a GA. And she whistled for about a week after the operation :shock: (I presume they damaged her wind pipe??)

Yes, we have the joy of VetsNow (our one is in the middle of a red light district to add to the experience).

I've only been once(touch wood) with a case of GI Stasis. I was happy with the treatment but I think I was pretty lucky, I've heard a few horror stories.

I think it cost £85 before treatment, however, I think if your own vet refers you, it is a bit cheaper.

I still think it is terrible, how many people don't take their pet there because of the cost?

ellepotter said:
Hi Folks,

Our vets charge for a dog around £60 up to 11pm and after that around £90 up till 8am just to see them! :shock: :shock: Would be slightly less for cat/rabbit etc.

Unfortunately our vets don't do call out to where I live as I live over 15 miles away from them. You can see why people wait to get a daytime appointment with charges like that. :?

Louise

they charged me £96 for Frida at 1am and i'm sure we go to the same vets. that was just for the call-out. with all the meds for gi stasis it came to around £178 just for that 1 visit :shock:

however i didnt mind paying it as we couldnt leave her until the morning and they got her well again so thats all that counts really :D

when i had to have Lily PTS last year, its was still quite early, around 7/8 o'clock in the evening and it cost me over £100 :cry:

X

The price I was quoted was actually taking your animal to the main surgery at Dodworth. They did also say they were estimates as they deal with emergencies on an individual price basis.

They wont do call out to my area as I'm to far away.

Louise

ellepotter said:
The price I was quoted was actually taking your animal to the main surgery at Dodworth. They did also say they were estimates as they deal with emergencies on an individual price basis.

They wont do call out to my area as I'm to far away.

Louise

yeah that's what I did - £70 before treatment after 11pm

sorry about confusion. the £96 they charged me was actually for taking Frida to Dodworth Road at 1am. It's easy for us to take them as we are about 2 miles from there.

I know when i took Betty in at 7am once they only charged around £70. Who knows why it varies so much? But like i say, i dont begrudge paying it. Especially when the poor vet who could have been working all the previous day gets hauled out of bed at 1am.

Sarah :)

As far as I can recall, it's £85 (not incl. treatment) for the Sheffield VetsNow clinic.

I've only ever had one 'emergency' case and that was when Harley's condition deteriorated very rapidly in the course of an evening - luckily enough though, one of the vets was running late at the practise I usually go to, so she let me take him in to her.

we are quite lucky in that we are close to the 24hr animal hospital (cardiff and caerphilly) so if our buns are unwell we take them there as there is always staff on duty.

Cost £75 to see them out of hours.

I'm sure ours is quoted as £75 plus treatment after hours (7pm onwards), we have had to phone a couple of times (though not actually go) and they've been very good with advice.

Neil

Its £50 for the call out TO the surgery and you met the vet there but i dont know about home visits although I think i read it was £15 a mile on top of that or something similar.

Back