• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Phantom Pregnancy?

armstronski

Young Bun
Hi

Our doe Amber has decided to build a nest in the corner of the dining room. Both her and Bob are free range downstairs. Bob is neutered and Amber is due to be spayed later this month. (Can neutering be unsuccessful?) Am I right in presuming that this is a phantom pregnancy? I also want to know whether there is anything I can do to help Amber when she is feeling like this. Although it is a massive inconvenience in the dining room would it be best to leave the nest alone until the phantom passes or can I remove it? Obviously the last thing I want to do is cause Amber any more stress.

Thanks in advance

males can stay fertile for about 6 weeks after being neutered so if you put both your buck and doe together straight away after your buck was neutered there is a chance she could be pregnant :? with the nest i would move it when your buns back in her cage/hutch so you dont upset her :wink: my bun once built a nest under my bed :shock:

Bob had been neutered for over ten weeks, we checked with the vet before introducing them. Also they haven't been together long enough for her to be ready to give birth if she were pregnant. Ok so perhaps I need to get her out of the room before I tidy it away. Feel really guilty, she has obviously been working hard on it all day. Thanks for the advice.

well i would probably say its a Phantom pregnancy its breeding season so does are getting pretty broody :wink: ive found with Phantom pregnancy's that my does loose interest in their nest within hours of building it lol so im sure she wont miss it that much :) have your buns been together for about 4-5 weeks? when my bun made a real nest for her surprise babies she ended up putting wierd stuff in it like my socks and plastic bags :roll: :lol:

They have been together for two weeks now. Feeling a little bit better about it as she doesn't seem too bothered by me tidying up around it. Will wait till feeding time and then remove it when they aren't looking.

Ive always found the nest to be the end of the phantom episode...once i remove it they never build another....until the next phantom...

The worst thing about it is the change in attitude....especially in an already temeprmental rabbit!

Back