• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Debating getting a second bunny

Laura416

Warren Scout
I've had Mimi since March 9th, 2007, and I'd ideally like another Holland Lop, but there aren't any in my city (I've checked everywhere). I was hoping to get one around the same time as when I got her. I spend a ton of time with my little girl and I'm concerned as to how she would react to another rabbit. I keep reading about rabbits being social but I'm sure they can get jealous/territorial, right? I'm also a bit worried that the longer I wait, the worse her reaction will be...Any advice? Thanks.

My personal opinion is that a bunny is more likely to successfully bond when they`re neutered, as the hormones will be gone so she`ll be less likely to be territorial & willing to accept another bunny friend.
If Mimi is still a youngster you could bond her with another bunny now ( either a neutered male or another young female) then get them both neutered when they`re old enough.
Some bunnies can be fussy about who they want as their bunny friend & your best option would be to take her to a rescue & let her choose her friend, though admittidly i have no idea what kind of rescue facilities you have in Canada.
If you do bring another bunny friend in for her you would need to introduve them on neutral territory & vinegar her home etc........ to remove her scent & try & prevent any territorial behaviour.

Hope that helps.
Su.x

When i bought Finbar I thought that he would be the only one we would buy. I loved him loads and we had a good bond but after a while I relasied that he looked bored and began eating everything in sight, and generally being naughty We had already had him neutered so we decided to get him a friend (Mabel). I am so glad I did I cannot imagine now not having the 2 of them and ye maybe Finbar and I arent as close as we were but seeing him cuddle up to Mabel and groom each other and being in bunny love makes it all worthwhile.

I was so worried when I introduced Floss to Inky. I'd had him for a few months and he hadn't seen another rabbit since he was about 4 weeks old (long story). However, as soon as he saw Floss, his whole body language changed, it was like he was saying 'you're like me!'. It was just magic and it makes me well up when I think about it.

I would have your bunny neutered first and if you can get in touch with a rescue centre that will help. You can try a couple of pairings then if your first one doesn't work.

Back