• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frenchies' eyes and tear duct troubles

minilops

Alpha Buck
Been reading up a lot on Frenchies and seem to have noticed a pattern by which Frenchies seem to be more prone to eye/tear duct problems. I've spoken to a couple of Frenchie owners and both their buns have had eye/tear duct trouble. Just wondering how many Frenchie owners on the Forum have found this to be the case with their buns? Claire

touch wood neither so far..bertie ive had since last sept and he was 18 months old then..willow ive had since march and shes 17 weeks old..
jo the lady who i adopted bertie from says like any lop its usualy teeth related and mostly gentetic. :(

Our 9 week old girls are giant french lop X's so will be keeping a close eye (scuse the pun) on them both. I had a New Zealand white for 8 years and for half of those suffered with blocked tear ducts. Spent countless hours and ££'s in the vets with him having antibiotics, and his tear ducts flushed out. I did find that a product from the pharmacy (think it was called brovine or something like that) worked well if his eyes weren't too bad. Now though you can buy something over the counter for conjunctivitis which I thought when I saw it would have been ideal for my Henry. I know these products are designed for Humans but it helped saved him from the stress of repeated anaesthetics and uncomfortable procedures. Vet said at the time that there was nothing I could do to prevent it we just had to fight it when it happened. That was 10 years ago so hopefully treatments and prevention have moved on.

Hi Anita! Very interesting - did your Vet ever try injectible antibiotics for the tear duct trouble. My Vet has just started these with my Humphrey. Did you mean Brolene drops? I've had them myself for my eye infection, but I didn't know you could use them for animals. My Vet seems to think the infection is actually in the duct at the moment, therefore the eye drops haven't helped that much. Claire x

He had various drops, Antibiotic injections and also home courses of antibiotics which was a fun struggle, using a syringe with a 14lb+ rabbit rapped in a towel trying to get it in his mouth before he bit it. But like I said his treatment was over 10 years ago so things might have changed. I think that was the name of the stuff - it worked sometimes if I caught it early enough but was at the end of my teather with him and by the time he was 8 the vet wanted to avoid anaesthetic where ever possible so at the time anything was worth a try, optrex and cold tea baths, human eye drops the works. Nothing cleared it for more than a few months bless him.

Ah, poor thing. I've only had my Humph for two and a half months and he's had eye trouble from the start. Like you, tried four lots of drops and Baytril, now on injected oxytet, which I'm hoping will work, but have to say I'm not convinced. Was your bun's problems connected to his teeth? My Vet (seen three now!) seems to think not in Humph's case, but I can't help worrying and if these injections don't work, I'm gonna have to get an x-ray done. Claire x

lola had an eye infection when we got her at 3 years old. had her tear ducts flushed out 4 weeks in a row and no longer infected but she still has drops every few days as her eyes get sore.

Hi Sarah! Can I just ask what treatment Lola had for the infection in her eyes? Were they just watering or was there pus? Did the tear duct flush help with the watering? Just wondering as I'm struggling with Humph's eyes at the moment and have tried loads of things to help him. Now on injected Oxytetracycline every three days, but it's not helped so far. What drops does Lola have now? Does she still get watery eyes? I've read it can be linked to Frenchies, but I'm desperate to help Humph. I'm continually blotting them for him at the moment. Did Lola have her duct flush under GA or whilst awake and did they help? Thanks for any help you can give. Claire x

Back