• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat Flaps for Buns?

wickedbun

Young Bun
I am thinking about putting in a cat flap for my buns so they can come in and out of the house as they please. At the moment I leave the back door open on weekends but winter if fast approaching.

Do bunnies generally learn to use cat flap easily? I have one smart bun and one very dopey bun. Would I be wasting my time and money?

It took Buu about 10 minutes to figure out the cat flap but my three other bunnies have never bothered with it, but the door is always open if they are in the garden anyway so they have never needed to use it. I think people on here do use catflaps for their buns to get from their sheds to runs though :D

I would only use a cat flap from a shed into a run. If bunnies get to use a cat flap and gain access into the garden, this could be unsupervised and there could be risks from predators. In the Uk we have urban foxes. Do dingos live in the cities too

No. Dingoes don't live in cities but we do have a few foxes in urban areas of Melbourne. We are not adjacent to any parks and would live about 1km from the nearest potential fox habitat so I doubt that would be a major concern.

I feel guilty that I am at work all week and the buns don't get much outside time. Last night my Misty bun thought that the back door was open and ran full tilt into the glass door :lol: She loves the outdoors but I don't want to put her at any risk.

wickedbun said:
No. Dingoes don't live in cities but we do have a few foxes in urban areas of Melbourne. We are not adjacent to any parks and would live about 1km from the nearest potential fox habitat so I doubt that would be a major concern.

I feel guilty that I am at work all week and the buns don't get much outside time. Last night my Misty bun thought that the back door was open and ran full tilt into the glass door :lol: She loves the outdoors but I don't want to put her at any risk.

Please, never underestimate a fox! They are lovely creatures but they are extremely cunning and clever, and if they are urban they will not fear wandering around houses and gardens, and if you have a nice bunny meal waiting for them they won't hesitate.

By all means install a cat flap - it's a great idea - but maybe just leave it open when you're around to keep an eye on them whilst they're in the garden. :)

AMETHYST

We have one going from the shed into the run, but the flaps are held up with elastic, because our bunnies don't seemed to have grasped the concept yet :lol:

Kirsty xx

Sorry I didnt realise it was for the buns to get out unsupervised. I thought you meant you just wanted to shut the door when you were in :oops: Its really not safe for your buns to be out in the garden when your not there, its not just foxes you need to be concerned about cats can easily get into anyones garden.

Back