• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Buns....

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
:shock: I have a dental bun....In all the years I've had Dwarf Lops, I've never had a dental bun :shock:

In a way I'm pleased 'cos I get to learn about something else and possibly watch some teeth burring at some point and on the other hand I'm a bit concerned about all the diet stuff and finding Hay for him and watching for signs his teeth are bad

I know that with a decent Hay based diet his teeth may sort themselves out but they may not :(

I've only had Little Ted since yesterday (10/5) and have already discovered his front teeth aren't properly aligned, they look just like my other guys teeth that were checked yesterday :?

He doesn't like the Meadow Hay I buy by the bale and he's having trouble cleaning his botty, for such a young bun this isn't good, he's only just 10 weeks :(

I guess, having trouble eating, cleaning and dribbling would be the first signs of trouble?

What are the first signs that your bun needs his/her teeth checked/burred?

dental buns

i have duke who.s a dental bun the 1st signs that his teeth need doin is loss of appetite he doesnt eat as much as he normally does, weight loss and he paws at his mouth which tells me he.s uncomfortable. 10 weeks is very young to have teeth problems is it just his front teeth or his back ones to?

It sounds like the Buck has a congenital dental disorder. He is too young for aquired dental disease.

If it is just an incisor maloclussion then they could be removed. He may go on to develop molar problems if he is unable to each grass/hay due to his lack of incisors.

Early signs of molar problems include reduced GI motility (small hard poo) A mucky bum, excsess salivation, watery eyes and sneezing. Some rabbits will continue to eat normally despite severe oral ulceration from molar spurs. Others will become anorexic with just small spurs and no soft tissue damage.

A Bun with congenital malocclussion should not be used for breeding and if from a breeder the breeder should be informed of the problem in the hope they will cease to breed from that line.

Janex

Ozzy has aquired Dental problems as up until now he has not eaten his hay, just wanted his pellets and veg which did him no good. The way I am now dealing with it is in all fairness starving him into eating hay. He only has pellets ever other day which will soon be moved to having pellets monday, thursday, sunday etc. He has a big pile of veggies everyday and grazing time on the lawn and also he has unlimited hay but the upside is he now actually eats it!! And wants to. He sits happily munching the hay for hours so at his next check up we'll see if it has worked.

Ozzy symptoms are normally a really messy bum that doesn't clear up after a day and there are no changes in diet to suggest a cause for the messiness. When we first discovered he had it he went very thin (3.3kg to 2.0kg) and was constantly dribbling. Now I know though a sign is not eating all his pellets quickly and also the messy bum thing.

To me it sounds as if your bun's is genetic though so the above may not help much lol

Hope the problem can be sorted/helped though :)

XxX

My bunny caramel has really bad teeth.
His front ones dont line up at all and he has to have them burred every 2-3 weeks.
I went to the vet about 3 months ago and they said that his back teeth roots were groing through his jaw bone aswell and gave him 2 days to live if he did not eat and 1 month at the most if he did. The vet wanted to put him down. :cry:

I was deversated he was lees than a year old and so full of life, i was not going to give up on him. I took him to loads of vets and finaly found one that would give him a chance.He said that caramel had a absist (Sorry not sure how to spell it) After a few weeks of antinflamitries he is fine and he is full of beans! Its been three months and im hoping he will be with us alot longer. He is proving them all wrong :p

I would look out for your bunny to be off his food and finding it difficult to pick up things and drink. I 1st found out about caramel when i found him dribbling. I felt horribe that i didnt spot it before.
I took him to the vets and it takes 5 mins to burr their teeth down.

Good luck!

Jack's-Jane said:
If it is just an incisor maloclussion then they could be removed. He may go on to develop molar problems if he is unable to each grass/hay due to his lack of incisors.

It's his incisors :( I am expecting to have his teeth removed at some point, don't want to the stress of repeated GA's

Jack's-Jane said:
Early signs of molar problems include reduced GI motility (small hard poo) A mucky bum, excsess salivation, watery eyes and sneezing. Some rabbits will continue to eat normally despite severe oral ulceration from molar spurs.

He does have very small poo, I know he's a small bun still and his poo will be smaller than I'm used to but these seem different :? And he's having some trouble cleaning his caecals away

Jack's-Jane said:
A Bun with congenital malocclussion should not be used for breeding and if from a breeder the breeder should be informed of the problem in the hope they will cease to breed from that line.

I don't know his history, he was a stray from the next road as me, I'm guessing who ever his owner was found out about his teeth and dumped him :(

I wasn't supposed to be keeping him but how can I rehome a Dental bun :love:

He's decided he loves the Oat Hay I bought for the others :D

Back