• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with all your rabbit poo and bedding?

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I have accumulated alot of rubbish (partially because i slept in one day and forgot to wheel the bin out), and therefore had to make a trip to the tip to get rid of them all.

The bin man asked me what i had in them, and i was very tempted to say 'dead bodies', but i didn't and said that they just had rubbish in them. So i chucked them in the skip and he decided he would open every one of them. Well... there was with ALOT of megazorb and poo in one of them, and he said 'whats that?'...

"We don't take animal waste!". (I didn't realise this, i wasnt trying to conceal the poo in anyway). I said, oh well, its not in all of them, just some and drove off!! :lol:

Anyway... i now have a garden waste bin full of dirty megazorb and poo and i dont think they are going to take it away, as well as a normal bin full of bags with stuff in.

Our bin men are really funny, and have a go at you if you have one extra bag or if you cant close the lid, even though some people on my estate have more than one bin!

What am i supposed to do with the poo and megazorb? Seen as though no one wants to take it?

I have to go to the tip every Sunday morning :roll:
Nobody at the tip has ever questioned me.Thank Goodness :D

we have a brown bin for compostable waste so some goes in there if the lawn cuttings dont fill it up. the rest goes to the muck heap in the horses field, rots down nicely and is used on the roses!

I put mine(megazorb and straw) in the bin and cover it with about an inch of garden waste! But I've only got 2 buns with 3 litter trays between them, so it's not too bad for me.

I bin mine at the moment, but I'm looking to get a compost bin, as megazorb is biodegradable, and bunny poop is an excellent activator for compost bins (better than paying for activator in a gardening shop)!

I also heard it's good for fertilizing your lawn, and bunny poops can easily be used as fertilizer for pot plants (no mess)!

I also heard that bunny poop can be used as food pellets for pond fish!

I sometimes wonder if people with allotments might make use of it (via freecycle)???? Also as fuel - it will burn very well.

But with just 1 bun (and no strict rubbish collection rules) it's not a problem for me.

I have 4 buns and 4 guinea pigs. The guinea pigs arent so bad with bedding, but i have buns whos litter trays get emptied every day. If megazorb is biodegradable, then i dont see the problem with me putting it in the brown bin (dont know if you have one, but it is for garden waste). To be fair i dont see what the problem is anyway, the poo is practically little round balls of hay. Bin men are nasty. If i was a bin woman, i dont think id be that bothered really.

The instructions for our compostable bin specifically say that waste for vegetarian animals is fine. :) Still a nightmare though, as there is always so much of it.

We have a green bin that will take waste from vegetarian pets too, but I try and compost most of it, although not so much in the winter as it doesn't rot down fast enough!

Mine doesnt appear to take vegetarian waste :(

"Please place the following items in your garden waste bin:

Grass cuttings
Lawn edging
Hedge prunings
Garden weeds, shrubs and flowers
Twigs, branches and leaves
House plants
Bedding plants"

I'll just hope for the best... not collected until next friday. i'll end up having an argument with the bin men. It is biodegradable like you say, so i dont see what the problem is.

I will of course keep you posted. I cant see anything that says about not putting vegetarian animal waste in the bins :(

We`re lucky now as we have a big enough garden that we can compost it.
But where we lived before ( in a town ) we had to put it out with the other rubbish for the dustmen. They took it for a while then started to refuse to as apparently it`s classed as `sewage`?! :shock:
But Mark rang their head office, one of their managers came out to see & he then instructed the dustmen they should take it. :D

Su.x

Mine goes out in the normal rubbish we have 2 black bins i put 1 in front of our house and 1 in front of next door as it has been made in to 2 flats so it just looks like they have 2 separate bins

All my animal waste goes out in the garden waste bin. I rang the council to check before I got the bin and was told to remove ALL paper and use no sawdust or other types of products (which would include megasorb). I always top it up with about a 6 inch layer of garden prunings to disguise what is in the bin ... so far so good :D

I use wood-based cat litter and it has to go in the bin. We have no local recycling facilities and no garden to compost things in.

AMETHYST

So what do you use, just paper, but then remove it? Paper is not an option for me as my buns eat it. or do you pick every single poo out of the megazorb (just kidding) :lol: :lol:

I have a wonderful man called Charlie come and get mine once a month...bless him

One day he'll ask what is in them :lol:

oscarbunny said:
So what do you use, just paper, but then remove it? Paper is not an option for me as my buns eat it. or do you pick every single poo out of the megazorb (just kidding) :lol: :lol:

I use hay for the rabbits and newspaper and hay for the guinea pigs.

I am really glad megazorb and bun poo can be composted, as I've just ordered a compost bin from the council and was hoping this was the case :) At the moment it just goes in the bin with our other rubbish to be collected each week...

I put some of it in the composter, some in teh brown garden rubbish bin and the rest of it goes in the trailer to be taken to the tip once a fortnight.

Back