• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

possible side effects of panacur?

sylvarabbit

Young Bun
Hi,

I'm sure I saw on here some time ago a link to a study on the possible connection between panacur and bone marrow malfunction?
Does anyone know where I can find this?

I would like to discuss any possible risks of using panacur with my vet before my 16 rabbits have their routine panacur next month.

has anyone on here had problems with panacur? last time my rabbits had it they had a 28 day course of 10% panacur and I didn't have any problems but would like to know of any potential risks before routinely treating them again. :)

Thankyou,
Kathryn & rabbits

I think someone posted before saying it can cause kidney problems (or was it liver, I cant remember :? ) but in my opinion the damage EC can do to a rabbits body is far more serious than any side effects possible from panacur.

Whilst on this subject, my five month old Frenchie was "panacured" just before we got him (two months ago). Can I ask when I need to give him another dose, ie, how often do you have to use it? Thank you. Claire x

I noticed that Jen drank a lot immediately after having her panacur, but I think that was just to get rid of the taste! (it's grim apparently)

Other than that, I've not noticed any side effects with either Frankie or Jen.

I have been advised to treat mine very 6 months but am considering doing it yearly, I think the panacur rabbit packaging says 4 times a year and during periods of stress - Im a bit confused about their rabbit product though as 9 days isn't long enough to treat e.cuniculi :?

sylvarabbit said:
I have been advised to treat mine very 6 months but am considering doing it yearly, I think the panacur rabbit packaging says 4 times a year and during periods of stress - Im a bit confused about their rabbit product though as 9 days isn't long enough to treat e.cuniculi :?

As far as I understand it, the 9 day course is the preventative course, whereas the longer (28 day) course is to treat active cases of EC :)

I disscussed the 4 times a year packaging instructions with my vet and she agrees with me that they are using hype to promote the product. In a home environment where no new rabbits are coming in and out annually is quite sufficient. Even my permenant bunnies are only done every 6 months.

Back