• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a male & female

Turbobek

Young Bun
I have taken in my brothers rabbit (males lopped eared lovely soft thing called harry).

I had him neutered 6 weeks ago and my friend has a female lopped eared rabbit (Lottie) which we are hoping to pair off together.

They met last night for the first time, harry tried to mount lottie constantly but i am assuming this is quite normal for the first meeting. She wasnt phased by this and they were sitting together by the end of the session (I only tried them for half hour to ensure that Lottie didnt get too stressed out)

I hope i did everything right, i matched my own male with a female and they got on straight the way so i am keeping my fingers crossed for these two.

is the constant mounting an issue , should i stop him doing it or just let him get on with it!!

Thanks

beck
x

That sounds perfectly normal! His head still wants to even if the body is unable! Hope all goes well, please keep us updated.

Neil

That sounds normal and very healthy! :lol: If you separate them though you will be back to square one as far as bonding is concerned, as they won't remember each other if they have been parted for more than a few hours.

If mounting (and maybe some chasing and nipping too) is all that's happening, that indicates success. :)

AMETHYST

Hi

Is the female speyed? Just they may be a very very small chance that she could still get pregnant if she is not, due to the male only being neutered 6 weeks (unlikely but not impossible). The behaviour you described sounds quite normal. Make sure the meetings occur on neutral territory, and it is best to leave them to get on with it, only separating if a fight breaks out or if one of them is becoming very distressed.
The mounting shouldnt be an issue unless the female bun is getting very very distressed. When benjamin met opal for the first time he would not stop mounting her.... all the time, but this died down after a couple of hours and now they love each other.

Good luck
and keep us posted.

Amethyst said:
If mounting (and maybe some chasing and nipping too) is all that's happening, that indicates success. :)

AMETHYST

That is exactly what is happening! he was 'chinning' her the whole time and she seemed quite relaxed.
I put them in the out door run (which he is not really used to) and she was hopping away from him a little but no fighting at all!

I am so pleased that this is normal! Success.

my friend had to take Lottie away with him cause i dont really have enough room for her and Harry will be moving into the purpose built dog cage turned rabbit indoor home soon.

Another meeting next week is arranged!! :D :D :D

Hi! I'm lotties dad! I've had lottie for about 14 months and I don't think I've seen her that relaxed or happy! She's usually such a timid/nervous rabbit but she seemed quite at home with harry after only about 10 - 15 mins. Was really nice to see!

Here's one of the videos I took:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=849uTvBuCKU

The best thing to do is leave them together (supervised :wink: ) Each time you seperate them and put them back together you are starting from the beginning again. If they are only going to be meeting once a week it will probably take a really long time to bond them this way. I would make sure you have planty of time to keep an eye on them, a few days maybe and just leave them together only seperating them if they are seriously fighting or one seems quite stressed. The other important thing is to do the bonding on neutral territory :D

Gorgeous bunnies :love: And it looks like normal bonding behaviour to me.

Back