• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bad reaction to VHD Vaccination

JoanneW

New Kit
Hi,

I thought I'd let you know about the bad reaction Snowy has had to his VHD vaccination.

I took him for his jab last week and he was fine, nothing reacted immediately.

We were away Friday to Monday for the bank holiday and a neighbour looked after him. I went to him as soon as we returned on Monday to see blood all down his side. First thought was that something had bitten/scratched him on the back of his neck. Rushed him off to the vets immediately.

Vet had a good look, no obvious puncture wounds so referred to the medical book, turns out it's a reaction to the vaccination and I'm treating it with twice daily bathing and applying a steroid cream.

It's looking much better already, but it really scared me as I didn't realise they could have bad reactions, the good news is a reaction like this is very rare.

Hi Jo,

One my buns Dave, had this reaction too. I have read that quite a few others experiencing it too following VHD.

Glad Snowy it getting better.

xx

The blood comes from the skin reaction which is looks like a bad cut which then scabs over and eventually the fur grows back.

Thanks. I'll know what to look for when my two go next week for their jags. They had no reaction last year, but you never know, and forewarned is forearmed :)

Not sure, but i did wonder if it only happened to white bunnies, as my dave is white and I am guessing Snowy is white too :wink: .

Also i remember seeing someone had posted a pic of their bunnies reaction who was also white.

Maybe it just shows up more on white bunnies.

I am sure yours will be fine again.

xx

I've heard of animals getting baytril burns when baytril is injected. Really if a vet wants to inject baytril they should do it with the smallest possible needle, I've heard of someone's vet who does that and their animals have never got a burn.

Could it be that the needle the vets are using is too large?

Beany had a reaction last year - a nasty looking lump and scab formed, but I left it alone, just checking it daily to make sure it was clean. Rade had no reaction whatsoever :)

Back