• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's a good AGE for a bunny?

Squiffy

Young Bun
What kind of ages do your bunnies live to? :?: :?: :?:

Does this differ with different breeds?

Neutered / Unneutered?

Houserabbit / garden rabbit?

Other factors?

I'm keen also to know how old a dwarf bunny can live to as i always assumed shorter lifespan to a larger breed, when i'm told in fact it's the other way round - is that true? [/b]

The larger breeds do tend to have a shorter lifespan. My oldest 2 Buns were a mini lop and a Nethie-X who both lived to be 13 :D
I would say that an average sized Bun would have a potential lifespan of 10 years.
The Giants seem to make it to about 6. Although I have heard of a few who lived to be just over 9.

Spaying does at a young age significantly increases their life expectancy as they are protected from Uterine Cancer. UC effects 80% of Does over 3 years of age

A good hay/grass based diet from a young age means aquired dental disease is less likely. AD can shorten a Buns life expectancy

Janex

my nancy a netherland cross was at least 10 when she died i had her for 8 of those years, she was at least 2 when i got her. she lived free in my outbuilding and had a run in the garden so i guess it's all down to genetics and the care and hygiene given during the rabbits life!

Difficult to answer...I'm going to be controversial and say that I think very timid, stressy buns tends to live shorter lives than chilled-out, relaxed buns

OMG My eldest Munchkin (netherlands cross) has just turned 6 and i thought she was in her twilight years???!!!

Now i'm concerned about the spaying issue. I've never had mine spayed and always believed living to 5-6 was a good innings for most buns and any older was shear luck.

It's always been a toss up between the stress of getting them done and the gamble with the cancer later in life - i've always favoured the non operation as i didn't want to put them thru unecessary pain and discomfort and instead decided to give them a happy life in the best comfort possible.

I guess 6 is a little too old to think about spaying now? Munchkin has always been a little on the skinny/runty side and to be honest i never thought she'd get anywhere near this old (though i'm secretly chuffed as i've always had an extra special place in my heart for her). Her sister Fizgig passed away last summer after contracting EC :-(.

So now i envy all you with older bunnies and i ask - how old is too old for spaying?

H x

I had an 11 year Old (Rescue) Doe spayed as she had a pyometra (womb infection) She was the Nethie-X who lived to be 13.
After examination,if your Vet feels your 6 year old Doe is fit enough to be spayed you could get her done. You may want a chest X-ray done first as Uterine Cancer usually spreads to the lungs. Any sign of lung metastisis then there would be no point in spaying her. Having a blood profile done (to check function of major organs) prior to a GA would be a good idea too

Janex

Hiya, I think it probably depends on the bun and how they are generally health wise. I think some people on here have had buns that old spayed. If you've got a good rabbit savvy vet they would be able to advise.

Jack's-Jane said:
I had an 11 year Old (Rescue) Doe spayed as she had a pyometra (womb infection) She was the Nethie-X who lived to be 13.
After examination,if your Vet feels your 6 year old Doe is fit enough to be spayed you could get her done. You may want a chest X-ray done first as Uterine Cancer usually spreads to the lungs. Any sign of lung metastisis then there would be no point in spaying her. Having a blood profile done (to check function of major organs) prior to a GA would be a good idea too

Janex

Fantasically knowledgeable advice yet again Jane, this i great. I shall take Munchkin along to the vet with Squiffy when she has her check up on Monday and look into this line of action.

One more thing, if i were to spay all my does, would you advise getting them done seperately since they all live together? I mean, would it be difficult if all 3 were convalescing together? How much discomfort are they in after? Or do they go about their normal lives???

Thanks again,

H x

Popsel is a Nethie cross and 11 years old. I had two bunnies that lived to age 6 or 7, and then one that died rather young, 2 or 3 years old, I think. She was also the biggest, probably had some giant blood in her. And she was not neutered because back then no vet in my town did that. Bunnies were considered food only at that time. :cry:

Sausage was a dwarf lop and died in March just short of age six. We were quite shocked at this as he had such a leisurely, pampered lifestyle and lived indoors. He was rarely ever ill. I had hoped he had a few more years in him.
He was fed on lovely fresh hay (and was very picky about which ones he liked, only the freshest was good enough!), was spayed at a young age and ate Supa Rabbit Excel, with a few greens.

I really don't think we could have done anything to prolong his life, he was always number one priority in our house! Must have been a genetic thing.

Squiffy said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

Fantasically knowledgeable advice yet again Jane, this i great. I shall take Munchkin along to the vet with Squiffy when she has her check up on Monday and look into this line of action.

One more thing, if i were to spay all my does, would you advise getting them done seperately since they all live together? I mean, would it be difficult if all 3 were convalescing together? How much discomfort are they in after? Or do they go about their normal lives???

Thanks again,

H x

Hi Squiffy

If you are looking at getting all 3 does neutered and they currently live together then you really want all 3 to go in together. They will all be rather quiet for a few days after (in my experience) anyway and I've heard stories on here about seperated rabbits after ops not re-bonding.

Neil

Jack's-Jane said:
I dont know if you have a good Rabbit savvy Vet ?

You might want to read this before speaking with the Vet who would do the spays

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=38940

Janex

Thanks Jane, if i can remember it all i'll do my best to ask.

I'm really worried about the rabbit-savvy vet idea as a number of other posts i've made and the advice i've got suggests my vets may not be as hot as they could be? They are marvellous with my cat and have been fab with my rabbits before. I'm especially worried about the treatment for my lactating doe mentioned in my other post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=46516. The vet said there was nothing to worry about, when other members here say i should be concerned and they should be treating my bun.

Vets hate it when you try and tell them their job don't they?

Eeek what to do? xx

But I thought the danger of the uterus cancer is when they reach 2 yr old. Since they have passed that 2 yr. old age range, and now at age 6, is it still necessary for the spay? In other words, shouldn't the danger of cancer pass by now?

Last edited:
Chloe my white Netherland Dwarf lived till 11 and was my niece's rabbit until she lost interest so we gave her a loving home.

Tinky was also adopted after her owner died and we had her after Chloe left us. She died recently from uterine cancer and was aged about 4 years.

Back