• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bruce at the vets tonight! U/D HE'S JUST DIED!

anon101

Banned
Bruce my French Lop is at the vets tonight at 7.20pm. :( Unfortunately its not my rabbit savvy vet as she's fully booked up.

I was planning to take him and two others for a dental check next week as he had dropped some weight and had a small lump on his back. He's had one before a few months ago that disappeared within a week.

The lump has ballooned over the last few days and its now the size of a golf ball if not bigger. This morning I noticed he wasn't hopping properly. On closer inspection it looks like he's done something to one of his back legs as its dragging slightly and doesn't seem able to support his weight hence the wobble.

I'm wondering if the three problems are connected. :? I'm really worried, even more so because we are not seeing our rabbit savvy vet but I'm not waiting for an appointment with her as I feel he needs attention today.

Positive vibes please!

DSCN0585.jpg

Louise

Well he's definitely got an abscess on his back. :shock: The vet quite gleefully showed me a syringe full of puss! :? :lol: Made me feel a bit queasy! :oops: He's also got some nasty molar spurs that would explain the weight loss. She think's he's just bruised his back leg as there's no sign of a break and his reflexes are fine. In fact he has been hopping much better this evening.

So the poor chap's overnighting at the vets. He's having the abcesss drained, left open to heal and a decent course AB's. Molar spurs will be attended to at the same time. If his leg doesn't right itself within a week were off back for an x-ray.

Thanks for the messages.

Louise

Poor Bruce :cry:
I hope the abscess is just confined to soft tissue and not involving his spinal nerves and causing his hind leg problems,

Sending healing vibes

Janex

Vets just phoned.

Apparently he's drunk a huge quantity of water overnight so they want to run pre-op bloods before he goes under GA in case he has any liver/kidney damage. :shock:

I've got to say its not something I've noticed as he lives in a group of 14 with large gravity water feeders dotted all over the pen so you can't really get an idea how much each rabbit is drinking.

Certainly one of the downsides of having a large group but I don't see anyway of checking how much each rabbit is drinking without splitting the group up. :?

Louise

Im sure he will be alright Louise, maybe he drank alot because the vets is hotter than where he currently lives? Eva had an abcess on her spine as well a few months ago, it was right between her shoulder blades and had to be removed, although hers was hard and not pussy like bruces xx Sending vibes xxx

Vet has just phoned again. I've got to say even though she's not my normal rabbit savvy vet she's been fantastic! :D

Bruce's blood results are back. His kidneys are fine but unfortunately his liver enzymes are three times what they should be. She thinks this is due to bacterial hepatitis caused by the abscess. There's basically so much bacteria in his body his liver can't cope. :cry:

This obviously makes the GA more high risk but without draining the abscess things will just get worse. He's currently on a fluid/antibiotic drip to try and flush some of the toxins out of his system before they put him under.

If all goes well he will becoming home on a course of AB's. He will be going back in a few weeks for repeat bloods and if the liver function is still not right we will be having a liver biopsy done to find out exactly what the problem is.

Louise

Back