• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Lady Lydia's Sore Hocks-U/D 2nd Pic Added

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
At the moment she is on Baytril and Metacam and I am applying Flamazine Cream to her hocks. I have just ordered some Equine padded rubber matting to put on the floor of her pen. I am hoping this will be the best flooring for her to be on as Vetbed is too abrassive.
I may have to consider putting dressings on her back feet but as she is a real chewer I doubt that any dressing will stay on for long

Picture653-1.jpg

Poor Lyds :cry: :cry:

Janex

why does she get them? poor girly, they look SO tender!!

someone needs to invent a chew-proof bandage, poor mite!

Unfortunately Sore Hocks are a common problem with Rexes.
With the Velveteens (origionally Rex X English Lop ) the problem was made worse due to the weight of an English Lop :cry:
So Dwarf Lops were introduced to the gene pool.........which led to malocclussion.................

*In need of that zipped mouth emoticon again*

Janex

Ouch :(

I think the matting will do the trick Jane or at least improve it. I've put rubber matting in our run and on the garage floor under their cage (see piccies) and its been fantastic! My buns had slighty scabby heels so not as bad as hers but are 100% better now. The only disandvantage is their claws need clipping more as the concrete used to wear them down.

runmats.jpg

Cagesideview.jpg

oooh they look sore, i think im quite lucky with bootz she's never had a sore hock yet (touch wood) sending painkillling vibes and snuggles xxx

Thanks for showing me those pics Norrielian :)

Phill, my Jack never had sore hocks once during his lifetime. For a Rex he actually had quite fluffy feet!! Hopefully Bootz wont be effected either :)

Janex

Ow that does look sore :(

I'll have to get a photo of Audrey's. They're not as bad as that fortunately.
Lydia is quite young to have developed bad hocks isn't she? :(

The stuff the vet gave me really seems to be helping Audrey- i haven't seen her biting her paws for days now. I think its called Surolan, but its really for clearing up any possible infection rather than soothing I think, but her hocks and feet still look better already. I've been putting sudocream over the top too.

i might get some rubber matting as well :? What are you going to put over the top of yours Jane?

Ouchies! Poor bun!
They're working on a fuzzy lop now (not sure of the official name) but it will be a dwarf lop with a rex coat. How many problems do you want to breed into an animal before you realise it's not worth it! They will most likely have teeth, hock and other problems.

raven_guest said:
Ouchies! Poor bun!
They're working on a fuzzy lop now (not sure of the official name) but it will be a dwarf lop with a rex coat. How many problems do you want to breed into an animal before you realise it's not worth it! They will most likely have teeth, hock and other problems.

Someone on another Forum is wanting to put a Frenchie Buck with a Mini Rex Doe :shock: :cry:

Janex

POOR GIRLIE :( :(

WHERE YOU GETTING THE MATTING FROM JANE? IS IT EXPENSIVE?
IS IT HARMFUL IF CHEWED?

QUESTIONS :? :oops: SORRY ....JUST THINKING OF HOPE . HER FEET SEEM TO BE OK NOW BUT DOESNT HURT TO HAVE AN ACTION PLAN IF THEY GET BAD AGAIN :?

Aww poor bun, that looks sore. I had a rat with sore hocks once (bumblefoot) and I used purple spray, its an antiseptic spray from horse suppliers (blue-kote in america). Do they use that with rabbits? Might it be helpful for your girl?

Back