• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long should a course of antibiotics be?

catherine

Warren Scout
Tango's had cystitis and I think it's come back he's only been off his antibiotics 5 days. He was only on a 7 day course of ceporex which was working but I feel that he could have done with them for longer.
I'm going back to the vets should I ask for a longer course?

Hi, my old bun was being treated for the same thing and her problem came back after the antibiotics finished. She then had an x-ray and said she had bladder sludge. Hopefully your bun just needs more medication, just thought i'd let u know.

Thanks. Was your bunny ok in themselves? Tango is fine he runs around as if nothings wrong he just drinks and wees alot.

I think your Vet may want to investigate Tango's cystitis further. An abdominal X-ray would reveal any bladder sludge/stones and sending a Urine specimen off to the Vet Lab to ascertain exactly what bacteria are involved so as the most suitable antibiotic can be prescribed.

As Tango is drinking a lot I think a blood test may be a good idea to. This would be to check on his Kidney function and for any sign of diabetes mellitus/insipidus

Buns with bladder sludge may not appear ill within themselves, although at times they may show signs of discomfort. Hopefully your Vet will get Tango's recurrent Cystitis sorted out.

Janex

Thanks Jane!
Looking at him his drinking and weeing doesn't seem as bad as last time - maybe because I know what I'm looking for now.
I always feel really horrible when he's not right and that I've done something wrong.
I have been worried about diabetes so I've cut down the amounts of sugary food he has.

Hi, yes my bunny was fine in herself but she seemed to be wet with urine all the time which was burning her. She had a blood test first to test her kidneys as Jane said. When the test came back ok she then had an x-ray to look for bladder sludge and stones.

Hope your bun is doing ok today.

I knew it was burning because it was actually going on to the skin and scalding her, the vet shaved her fur so it was easier for me to keep her clean and dry. She had more medication (sorry cant remember what as it was about 4 yrs ago).

Unfortunately she started to look very uncomfortable when she passed urine and the vet advised me to have her pts. But since i joined RU i have discovered that the bladder sludge can be flushed out. I just wonder why i wasnt given this option, she could have still been her today :cry:

Sorry, dont want to scare you. It may be nothing like that.

Hopefully Jane will be along soon to explain things better than me!!

Back