• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating and not putting on weight and drinking too much

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Ok as most of you will know Tilly was diagnosed with renal failure last september, well 9 months on and Tilly is still here and exceptionally well. Her only symptoms now are her drinking, she's going through approx 1 litre a day, and she is eating everything and anything and not putting any weight on. Till's has been having steroid injections and vitamin injections since september but she hasn't had one now for 2 weeks and there is no change in her. She's going to the vets on monday for every test you can possibly think of, urine, blood, ultrasound scans, you name it she's getting it!
What i can't think of or find are any illnesses or conditions which would leave tills with these symptoms but nothing else??? She did have a very bad few months from October through until January but were now putting that down to the cold weather rather than renal failure. Anyone have any ideas what could cause tilly to drink alot and eat hundreds yet put on no weight?????

Hi Phill

I suspect it is a general deterioration in her renal function. Although the steroid/Vitamin injection would help in the short term they wont cure her.
I would be inclined to ask for just a blood test first. That would give Hazel an idea of the changes in Tilly's renal function from her last blood test.
The frequency of the steroid injections can be increased if the blood results reveal a deterioration. But again it is a case of buying more time rather than 'cure'.
In chronic renal failure muscle tissue is broken down (muscle catabolism) and therefore the buns weight drops. Steroids reduce the rate of muscle catabolism but do not stop it.

As long as Tilly is eating and, although drinking and weeing a lot, is able to remain hydrated, that indicates that she is still coping with her compromised renal function.

If the blood test results do show a further decrease in renal function Hazel may want to consider adding a drug to lower Tilly's blood pressure (an ACE inhibitor) This would reduce the pressure of the bloodflow through the kidneys, therefore taking a bit of strain off them. Also, with worsening renal failure depletion of potassium can occur. If that were to be revealed in the blood test results then a more appropriate addition to her meds may be a Potassium supplement.

I am sure Hazel will do everything possible to help Tilly. If Tilly were mine I would want to wait for the blood test results before putting her through more diagnostics. Please let us know how she gets on

Janex :)

Thanks Jane, i was hoping Morag's (thats the other vet) thought were right and tilly was misdiagnosed in the first place. i will discuss everything with Morag on Monday and get her to do the blood tests first, they have there own lab so can get results for certain things back in the same day.

Sorry to read about Tilly. Maisie's weight has picked up recently as I have been giving her lots of porridge. She was so frail with her bones evident. I also doubled her pellets, which I had cut back to help her renal problems, and her weight has increased. I have noted Jane's advice for Tilly. Maisie's symptoms have always been the same as Tilly's.

I remember that thread. Time really fly. I can't believe it's been 9 mth. You must be doing an exceptional job. I'm glad to know that Tilly is happy and kicking around

Thanks guys, im really quite confused with tills at the mo, as the vet really seems to think that after 9 months she should have deteriated or had to have been pts by now, Morag really didn't think Tills should be doing as well as she has. She's also kinda got my hopes up that tills isn't as unwell as first thought, when tills came here from Furryfriends, she had been shunted back and forth to emma for being aggresive, i wouldnt say tills is a cudle bun now, but you can pick her up with no fuss, she likes a good old pelt up the garden, she just such a changed bun from a year ago.

Yeah, but Phill, doesn't human doctor does the same thing? They said such and such has 9 mth. left to live, and turns out such and such live many years after.

Has your bunny been tested for hyperthyroidism :? - also while rare rabbits can suffer from diabetes.

It sounds like you are doing everything right - and it is wodnerful that she is now a happier bunny.

I was wondering about a thyroid problem. esp with the drinking and weightloss despite a good appetite

Back