• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering or rehoming a 'difficult' pair..

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
I think this has come up before, but I can't find the thread :(

If someone has a spare hutch and potentially the finances to support another bonded pair of rabbits, is it generally considered more 'useful' to rescues to have another foster carer, or to permanently rehome a pair of buns that have proved to be difficult to rehome (i.e. because of their age, or health etc)?

My OH and I have been talking about a second pair for a while... I'm still not 100% sure yet - I'm still considering whether we could care properly for another pair in terms of time and costs - but I am tempted :oops: Would take my bunny count to four! :shock:

I think it depends on what you feel about to deal with. A fosterer who takes in bunnies temporarily for a few weeks at a time is very useful but you might feel that handing them back is diffcult. Where as fostering a difficult pair long term is good for the bunnies and isn't that much different from adopting.

With a foster caring doing short term usually the rescue would cover most of the costs, particularly vet bills and then you work out between you who covers food/hay etc.

Tam

Fostering usually means that you end up with either a 'problem rabbit' who needs careful handling to coax them round and attention they cant get in rescue which can be quite exhausting so you should have a break between bunnies. Sometimes a ready to rehome pair require fostering to make space for some sick or needy rabbits and these can be a real pleasure and a wrench to let go of.

I guess it depends on the relative experience of the fosterer really.

If you want to try a problem rabbit have I got one for you :wink: (just kidding, this monster would have your hand off!)

personally I would rahter see a hard to home long term pair in a home..but then I am lucky in having a nice band of great fosterers already :D

Pfffft, it's tough isn't it :( TBH, I think I'd prefer to rehome a pair that had been waiting for a while (not that I already have my eye on a pair, or anything :oops: ) but my OH prefers the idea of fostering. I guess long term fostering would be a good compromise, but I don't think I could let go of a pair I had been caring for for a year or something, I'd be way too attached.

Who's the biter then Sooz? :lol:

Tammy. A large (and fat, why do I have a monopoly on fat bunnies?) grey dutch lop cross (gorgeous she looks like a lop eared dutch with all the right markings). She is VERY territorial, the only way I can get my hand in the cage is to tickle her ears with one hand as a distraction....should my hand move too far down her back and woe betide me!!!

She had spent all her life in a hutch and her nails were overgrown by the lenght of a paper clip....i actually retched when i saw them :oops:

I have a scale pic somewhere to post...

If money is a potential issue then I would go for fostering short term. Either way you'd really be helping though :)

The other concideration is location. Some rescues for fostering you need to be close enough to use their vet. You might need to ask local rescues what they need before you make a decision then find out there isn't a rescue to work with :)

i agree wth jill .

much better to see a hard to home pair rehomed than send them out to foster .

they deserve a permenant home just like any other buns .

but then on the other hand ...fosterers are very useful for overflows and recovering buns who arent ready to be rehomed. but as someone else pointed out most rescues need you to use particular vets. :wink:

if you dont want a realy long term commitment why not look at rehoming older bunnies .

very rewarding to provide a lovely retirement home ....although upsetting as well in some cases i imagine . :?

Thanks for the replies and thoughts everyone :D There's certainly plenty to think about!

The location point is a good one - I don't drive so I either have to rely on my OH driving me to a nominated vet, or I'd have to use my own vet, who is within walking distance.

I'm not worried about a long term commitment as such, I just like to really think things over before I make any sort of decision (I'm slow, but at least I'm 100% confident in my decision by the time I get there :lol: ). From what everyone has said though, I think permanently rehoming a hard-to-rehome pair will be the better option for me :D

Can't wait to get the new hutch(es) now! :D

bunnymadhouse said:
if you dont want a realy long term commitment why not look at rehoming older bunnies .

very rewarding to provide a lovely retirement home ....although upsetting as well in some cases i imagine . :?

Yes older bunnies are fab :D

They don't tend to get the raging hormones, or the drive to chew and dig as much as youngsters.

They sometimes get a bit grumpy though :lol:

Back