• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudge not himself today ( a bit worried)

karen354

Warren Veteran
Every morning as soon as Fudge and Furby hear the back door open they know its breakfast time.. This morning Fudge wasn't himself at all he just sat there with no excitment to see me or his breakfast......
He has eaten some veggies and SS but there is something not right with him :( he loves running around the garden, he has come in the garden but he's not playing round as usual.. My vet is an hour away so not sure if I should make the journey there or wait and see how he is later this afternoon... If it's bloat would he being eating at all ? not sure if to give him some infacol, what do ou think ? He's now munching on grass in the garden..

I think it were bloat he'd be very listless and not eating at all, but I really have NO experience at all of these things :( Hopefully sorry more knowledgable will be along soon.

I have my fingers crossed that it's nothing serious - lots of hugs and vibes coming your way xxx

Morrigan1981 said:
I think it were bloat he'd be very listless and not eating at all, but I really have NO experience at all of these things :( Hopefully sorry more knowledgable will be along soon.

I have my fingers crossed that it's nothing serious - lots of hugs and vibes coming your way xxx

Yes thats true when Furby had bloat she didn't eat asnd didn't move..
Hope it's not his teeth :(

the fact that he's eaten something and is now eating grass seems good to me! Hopefully he'll carry on eating and remain well :wink:

Exactly the same thing happened with one of my bunnies a few week ago.He was eating but didn,t seem himself.
I booked to take him to the vets that same evening but when i got home from work he was back to his normal self.
Still took him to the vets and they found nothing wrong at all.
Wonder if they sometimes have off days like us.

:( I think you can check if a bun has dental pain by (very gently) touching their cheeks and noting their reaction?

Has he had to have teeth spurs removed before? :(

Morrigan1981 said:
:( I think you can check if a bun has dental pain by (very gently) touching their cheeks and noting their reaction?

No hes had nothing done on his teeth yet, when he was neauted i was told he will need on going treatment for his teeth :(

karen354 said:
Morrigan1981 said:

No hes had nothing done on his teeth yet, when he was neauted i was told he will need on going treatment for his teeth :(

It sounds like he may need his teeth checked. If he is showing a preference for soft food (Veg/grass) that may indicate oral discomfort. Its best to act quickly before his guts start to slow down.

Janex

Hey Karen, I'd forgotten about his potential dental problems when we spoke earlier. Will you take him to Kevin for that?

capel said:
Hey Karen, I'd forgotten about his potential dental problems when we spoke earlier. Will you take him to Kevin for that?

Yes Hilda, I will have kevin to do that..
He seems back to himself now I've just given him some carrot and broccoli and hes eaten them, he's also been in the garden running round and playing as normal..
I'll make an appointment to have his teeth checked with kevin, what are the signs is it dropping food out of the mouth and running eyes? hes not having any of those problems yet but Its very likely that he will. ..

karen354 said:
capel said:

He seems back to himself now I've just given him some carrot and broccoli and hes eaten them, he's also been in the garden running round and playing as normal..
I'll make an appointment to have his teeth checked with kevin, what are the signs is it dropping food out of the mouth and running eyes? hes not having any of those problems yet but Its very likely that he will. ..

Some Buns are 'helpful' in that they will show more obvious signs of molar spurs like excess salivation, runny eyes, not eating. But other Buns present with things like a mucky bum or reduced GI motility or even sneezing!!!

I have had Buns who have had ENORMOUS molar spurs that were cutting into the cheeks/tongue. Yet the buns showed no sign of mouth pain at all. They just stopped eating their caecotrophs. The caecotrophs were also very squishy (sorry :mrgreen: )

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
karen354 said:
capel said:

Some Buns are 'helpful' in that they will show more obvious signs of molar spurs like excess salivation, runny eyes, not eating. But other Buns present with things like a mucky bum or reduced GI motility or even sneezing!!!

I have had Buns who have had ENORMOUS molar spurs that were cutting into the cheeks/tongue. Yet the buns showed no sign of mouth pain at all. They just stopped eating their caecotrophs. The caecotrophs were also very squishy (sorry :mrgreen: )

Janex

No signs of his caecotrophs so hes eating them.. Have the same vet as Hilda hes excellent so will get Fudge checked out..

How is he today? I too would guess at teeth problems - Shayla went off her food one morning and then she was eating later on - I had no idea at the time she had dental probs, the rescue had given her a clean bill of health - took her to see my "dental vet" and she did indeed have spurs - few clips later and she was back to normal :D

Back