• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letting rabbits out in gardens with ponds..

smokeys owner

Warren Scout
I've got a huge garden, and I've finally got it all cleaned up so it should be suitable for my rabbits to run around.

Except for the pond, is it a good idea to cover it up or doesn't it matter? My neighbours rabbits used to get under the fence and run around in my garden alot, I was surprised they never fell in! So were they just lucky or do they have enough sense to avoid things like that?

I'd be a bit concerned about letting Smokey out because she's so clumsy, she falls out of her hutch sometimes!

I would net it, one of my bunnies had a bit of a shock after jumpingg into a kiddies padling pool. Also unlike natural water pond don't tend to have a slop into the water so hard to get out again. Make sure the net is tight enough so they can't jump on and still sink.

Tam

I remember a very sad story on here a while ago when a garden pot filled up with rain water over time and the free-range rabbit jumped/fell into the pot headfirst and drowned.
I would agree to net - even my childrens paddling pool has me worried in the summer and that is only a few inches deep.

Louisa

I would put a net over the pond, too. Better safe than sorry. And be careful with foxes and birds of prey, too. We have a fox walk through our garden during the middle of the day sometimes, and we are in town, not in the countryside. So my bunnies are not allowed free range.

I have a pond and it is netted. If the buns get out into the garden (which is secure from escape and not predators) they often end up being chased around the pond when they try and escape.

You dont want to end up in the situation where you end up thinking 'if only I had netted it'

loulouembers said:
I remember a very sad story on here a while ago when a garden pot filled up with rain water over time and the free-range rabbit jumped/fell into the pot headfirst and drowned.
I would agree to net - even my childrens paddling pool has me worried in the summer and that is only a few inches deep.

Louisa

:( Aww that's awful.

Thanks anyway guys, yeah it's better to be safe than sorry I guess.

And there's no way of foxes getting into my garden because it's fenced.

Unfortunately, I also thought foxes wouldn't get into my garden which has 6 ft high fences. BUT, I have since found out to my cost that they can climb, and a high fence certainly doesn't stop them as my Daisy was taken by a fox :(

Kate

Rushie said:
Unfortunately, I also thought foxes wouldn't get into my garden which has 6 ft high fences. BUT, I have since found out to my cost that they can climb, and a high fence certainly doesn't stop them as my Daisy was taken by a fox :(

Kate

I know someone who has a 7.5 foot fence, all the boundaries of their rear garden are a prison, they also have a fox which visits them reguarly over the side entrance which is the same height as the rest of the garden , they also discovered this the hard way as well.

"Our" fox can easily climb 7 ft fences, I watched it do that. And yesterday I saw a big hole under a fence near school, either a fox or a badger must have dug it. And I remember that someone on this forum had a big dog jump into their garden, too.

Back